Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: four wheel drives

CHRIS_aka_GWH

four wheel drives

folks,

I raise the question as I have just purchased a Series 3 Landrover for endless pursuit of the mythical 5kg tailor.

I chose a '76 Landrover as it is not just a vehicle but a big boys mechano set - a project if you like. I am a firm believer a man needs his "projects" & something to yell at. This will generally keep him faithful & the home relationships peaceful.

HEY - ITS MY THEORY & IT GOT ME THE CAR - so vote will ya.

AND I know there is a very good Landrover chatboard but I find it hard warming to the idea of chatting to the very knowledgable Pauvel in Spain about his landy ...

chris

Gorilla_in_Manila

Re: four wheel drives

Chris,
    Good idea, but not sure what to vote. I have a 4WD and there seems to be a few posts pop up about them which end up anywhere between camp, wanted, for sale, general, accessories and boating chat.
    Guess it would be best added to camping chat, which might get a bit more interest in that area. That way could become more of a fishing lifestyle chat area, and perhaps posts of fishing trips or safaris could get posted there. Other things that could fit under there is info or comments on boat ramps, and car related fishing accessories which I see occassionally but they often seem buried amongst the mono vs braid sort of posts if they are put under accessories chat.
    I'm actually quite interested in the camping posts, but seems like the area doesn't get all that much traffic or interest from the majority here.

As for the 5kg tailor, my old man pulled one that would have gone very close to that off Waddy Point in early Nov last year. No photos and wasn't weighed but he isn't one for overestimating weights; said it went at least 9lb. So that might give you a starting point in your search.

Cheers
    Jeff

Big_Kev

I will be getting my 4x4 this week end all going according to plan.
    I have had a heap of questions to ask and have had some luck in finding answers but a board here I am sure would have done the trick no end.(seems to be plenty of members with em)
    There probalbly are sites around but I couldn't find anything that was as active as this site and related to what I want to be doing with it.
    The site I found was basicaly mud bashing stuff and rock climbing.
    All good if thats what you want.
    All go for the 4x4 section I say.
    Cheers Kev.

Hi Guy`s, I`ve been looking at site for awhile now,(home page as well), joined up about a month ago, just never posted anything yet, but I`d like to see a 4x4 chat area also. cheers BJP

Top choice chris, good for most things apart from modern roads

CHRIS_aka_GWH

bewderful lady rob !!

that's mine but its TELECOM orange & not a scerick of rust in the chasis. Did its time west of Toowoomba - time for it to meet the salt I say.

chris

Big_Kev

Yeah yeah yeah.
    Maybe you landy persons will need a site of your own.
    LOL Kev.

fantastic idea chris
    obviosuly dont have one now, but will get one eventually and if there is a board where can pick up some extra knowledge then awesome [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
    cheers jack

Oh my # now these are landrovers

and when the SWB was eventually fully air-conditioned (the roof fell off) then that was simply a mean machine. Rough roads # never saw anything else, why ya think the roof fell off.

But really these days some of the vehicles the urban cowboys take on the beach (apart from make ya cry but I suppose that's what they do on TV, hey ) who just have to have all the latest u beaut real 4WD gear really will never know what "real 4WD's" were really like #

Actually the winch on the front of that little guy would leave all these u-beaut newbies behind in the mud. Besides when ya only little you sometimes need to find a way around all the "big boys" #. # #

Cheers, Kerry.

CHRIS_aka_GWH

kerry,

was that winch an engine driven one. I only found out a week ago that Landrovers could have those plant drives. Apparently mine once did - probably for use with either a powered offroad trailer or railway drive.

They really do have have some great concepts for an offroad vehicle.

chris

Chris, no electric aircraft starter motor job and that winch was about all that used to hold the old girl together. Yeah landrovers could drive an aux shaft either front or back but one problem with power take-off winches was when one is up to their wiper blades in water, there's generally no go power #

Also some power take-off versions had shi... little shear pins that at the first sign of load did exactly that dam well sheer off #>.

As for "real" off road vehicles then this was one of the best,

not big on speed, about knee high to a fence post but could almost climb a tree sideways, the next best either had tracks or 6 wheels.
    #

Cheers, Kerry.

what is that kerry the first landrover i drove was @ 11hp? on
    private property @ forestry roads when i was a boy common practice in the scrub then
    cheers brian

nice lookin machines here's ours!
    1944 world war 2 Jeep! IT'S A FORD
    fully equipped for any situation, gun rack, shovel, hand windscreen wipers, cb, and the baby seats
    free air!!! and if ya lucky a meal of bugs while driving along the highway at night
    but still, am already convincing dad to sell it to me for a good price

cheers mick

Certainly don't make Jeeps like that anymore, one of the workhorses of WWII. Actually after the war there were simply hundreds of brand new Jeeps simply dumped and buried. Would be worth a fortune these days.

The yank GMC 6*6 was also a classic, 6 wheel drive, duel tyres all round with the outside front tyres smaller than the main inside set. Chains around the rear tandem set (basically a half track) and chains on the front outside tyres only so one could still steer the thing but when things got soft then the front duels would get some bite. Bogged GMC's made a whole new meaning to the word stuck.

Brian, that's a Hafflinger and were either 2 cyl or 4 cyl air cooled, which might have been ok in snow country but over here the heat didn't suit them all that well, especially the 2 cyl version.

Cheers, Kerry.

Chris,

Welcome to the club my friend. I've done my time in the series 2, 2A, and 3 and finally decided to bite the bullet.

It's extreme all the way from here on in.

Bugman