Thread: Anti theft device

Anti theft device

With my insurance up for renewal I thought I better have a read for the terms and conditions. Then realised that if my boat was stolen I would not have been covered

I am with Suncorp, and it is all to do with what is an anti-theft device.

How it pans out is this,,,,

You are required to take reasonable precautions against theft. Fair enough,,, I use a heavy chain and padlock at home and the ramp. Wrong!!

The definition in the policy specifically states that "if the boat is on a trailer then the trailer must be fitted with an anti-theft device." So far so good.

Go to the definition in the policy of an anti-theft device and it specifically says that "an anti-theft device is a device manufactured specifically to stop your boat from being stolen, and, a padlock and chain/cable is not an anti-theft device under this policy."

Made haste to the closest supercheap and spent $50.00

I really should have known better as I read policies and deeds as part of my work. Just slack I suppose. Though that slackness could well have cost me my rig.

You may want to check out your policy even if it isn't Suncorp. They may have similar.

Now I am double secure with my "manufactured device" as well as my trusty old chain and padlock.

Regards,

Cheech

Ausfish Addict

Re: Anti theft device

should have contacted steve ausfish he sells the same device if its a couple mate have one myself
    cheers
    Joe

imported_admin

The Couplemate will satisfy the insurance requirements for a manufactured device.

Would be a good idea for everyone to check the fine print of their insurance terms

Couplemate - http://www.ausfish.com.au/trailer/

Just read the fine print in my Suncorp boat policies and you are spot on Cheech - thanks for the heads up!

Steve I need a couple mate.... - or two... no wait, do I need one for the canoe as well, and the jetski... better make that a dozen!

Dave ><>

DaneCross

I'm with Suncorp too! Will be in touch soon Steve, sales are gonna go through the roof!

hi
    i think club marine charge $1000 dollar excess if your boat/trailer is pinched and you don't have a trailer lock.
    read your policies boys. the pricks will do anything to avoid a claim
    cheers
    dazza