Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fish size - Red Emporer

Re: Fish size - Red Emporer

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza
    Harry/Kerry/Phill........

What is the Fine , and more importantly Penalty ,for catching Reefies by trawling? ....
    In present terms # there is No fine, No penalty for catching reefies by trawling #

IF you catch reefies they have to go back over the side.

It's not the catching, it's the keeping, non premeditated catching (similar laws apply to rec's you know) isn't illegal and doesn't breach "in possession" laws.

As for the "keeping" I'll find out for ya.

Cheers, Kerry.

Thanks Kerry , sorry but that was my dominant C&K personality ,not the wussie C&R one

Regards
    Gazza

Kerry, Gazza,

A commercial trawl operator can still have reef species on board - after the new Coral Reef plan. However he can only do this as a rec fisho.

He no longer must cover up his rego but he must apply by all the rec bag limits and he must follow procedure like removing pectoral fins etc.

There's also one other thing - he must have his vessel dual registered. Most pros have a special transport registration (someone may be able to tell me what it is). To rec fish out of a commercial boat the vessel must have the propper (normal) registration for a private vessel of its size.

I'm led to beleive not many trawl operators have their vessel normally registered.

So if you see a trawl vessel without two registration stickers/numbers on the side of the boat with people line fishing or with reef species on board - I urge you to report it to fisheries.

Regards

Brett