Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fish size - Red Emporer

Re: Fish size - Red Emporer

Phill, you beat me by this - much .

Sorry Craig, you can have the next one
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

under size fish and crabs is the order of the day at most of the fish shops ive been to.
    one shop near my place has had 10cm sandies there on more than 1 occasion.
    the fish would be fu^fed by the net. but i'd prefer that this trawlerman didnt profit from a poor day out. ive been cabing and had to through back 22 under size crabs, end result no take home crabs.
    then it realy gets ughly

harryhoy

Post removed at the request of the Member

Almost the pocession of a knife on the back of a trawler is an offence.

Cheers, Kerry.

Sorry Harry-Hoy, but despite what you say, I do know what I'm talking about.

I'll qualify the above statement thus,

The trawller skipper I spoke to was doing this over 15 years ago. He never dropped his ( by-catch ) at the co-op himself, but a ' mate ' , as he puts it, with a line licence is teed up prior to docking and the reefies offloaded. Sure he was doing the wrong thing. in 2 ways. had I known what I know now, things could be different. Not even sure if there was a Hotline back then !

No one even dare attempt to tell me that Trawller skippers/ operators don't catch reef species and keep them for sale.

In the ideal world , where everyone obeys the law, Yes, but this is the real world, and anyone here who knows a deckie/ skipper/ owner, even today, will know that this " black market ' still exists.

But anyway, this is a side track to the real issue of undersized fish by rec laws being sold by retail outlets.

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

harryhoy

Sorry, dont agree Phil

I think you might be looking at imported fish, from places where the legal lengths are different from ours. And while Red Emperor might not be aquaculture species in Aust, they could easily be in Asia where the farm anything. Did you know that the French farm MahiMahi, which used to be farmed, in tanks in Two Rocks in WA. When Bondie blew the bundle they sold the lot to the frogs. Max

Just for the record, "in possession" fish limits on trawlers is nil, nought, nothing, doesn't matter how caught. Legally a trawler even when anchored can't even line fish.

Cheers, Kerry.

Harry what don't you agree about phills statement?? You can't just say don't agree and don't comment!!
    Cheers
    Liam

Dont wanna tread on any Toes here but me thinks ye shall find kerry n harry might be right .
    Too many "what useta happen , or i remember bein told so n so".
    Maybe we should stop havin a go at Commercial Operators because someone shoddy out there is tryin ta buck the system..Its gunna happen no matter what laws ya got in place, nature of man.......Whether be it Rec Fisho or Operator.
    I took the Missus out for tea last night and she Ordered a feed of "Emperor".
    When it > arrived i was about ta jump up and head for the Kitchen till me Noggin tells me"Old on a minute there mate, Emperor could also be Red Throat emperor" and when i checked out the size of the Fillet again, "YEP!!" about fits the size allright...
    Coulda had a long debate on what was and how it was advertised on their Menu Board, but what the heck!! The taste was still good anyway...
    Next time ask prior to ordering lol..
    Cheers

They could be from another state or as someone said another country. The "Mutual Recognition" between states in Australia does allow for cross border trading.

So an undersized fish in one state may be a "legal" fish in another state.

As long as the seller can verify via documentation that the fish were purchased or "traded" from another state then it may well be legal.

harryhoy

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill
    No one even dare attempt to tell me that Trawller skippers/ operators don't catch reef species and keep them for sale.
    I don't agree with very much of what Phil has said but more specifically the above quote is hate mongering rubbish.

Harry/Kerry/Phill........

What is the Fine , and more importantly Penalty ,for catching Reefies by trawling?
    Harry ,are you referring to the Fish Receivers Act-NSW ,or some other Qld/other reference ?

Just an ask ??? ,anybody can answer (in present terms)

Regards
    Gazza

Well my best mate his uncle runs his own prawn trawlers and i would have to agree with phill,from what ive seen when i was out there and from other stuff ive been told by himself and other skippers of trawlers,they all keep reef fish to sell!!