Thread: Boat ramp design???

Boat ramp design???

I just don't get it. Who actually designs boat ramps? I was at Pinkenba yesterday and saw others having similar issues I have when you are one out. How do you get you boat from the beach to the ramp when the ramp is high off the water so you cannot walk your boat to the trailer.

Yesterday was actually worse than usual because that bloody tangalooma ferry went past and the waves beached my boat and another boat. Lucky we could get mine off and I towed the other 5.6m boat off on a dropping tide. Not much fun and was so close to having to spend the next 6 or 7 hours with beached boats waiting for the next high.

Simple..... All they have to do is instead of setting the edge of the ramp at 45%, if the edge was just set with steps instead. Doesn't even have to be small. Maybe .5m out, .5m down, .5m out, .5m down. Even one meter steps would be better than 45% that you cannot walk on. I think you know what I mean. Wouldn't even have to be even or symetrical. As long as you could walk your boat from the beach to the ramp.

Then people would not have so much difficulty and then not take up so much time and then not piss so many others off that happen to have a buddy that can wait at the ramp and catch for them.

And while I am at it,,, Would it be too difficult to install a few rings or anchor points at a few spots along the ramp so that if there is or is not a beach, you could pull up close to the end of the ramp, tie off on a ring, and then go get the car. Then as your boat is at the end of the ramp you would be straight on and away.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't just a couple of rings, and a stepped edge to the ramp make all the difference to a lot of ramps out there and not only make life a lot easier for those that fish alone, but also reduce ramp rage. No I am not a victim. I usually fish with my 6yo who has winch duty to get me going. Even on my own, I have it pretty well sorted. But just a couple of virtually no cost additions would save so much and make life so much easier. Probably too late for steps,,, but to install a few tie off rings would be so cheap and easy. Who do I ring, fax, or email to get that happening?

Cheech

Re: Boat ramp design???

cheech,

i know what ya saying,its friggin frustrating ehhh,

QLD transport looks after them apparently.

cheers from kracker.

I think you will find the reason for having 45deg edges on ramps is for people who can not back down straight. Lot more forgiving a 45deg dropping edge rather than a 500mm step.

The rings are a good idea, but I doubt it will ever happen. Thats just one more thing for them to maintain.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

a 500mm drop might force a few people to improve their reversing skills make for some entertainment.
    there was plenty of entertainment at the ramps over easter
    cheers
    dazza

Ok,, I do now understand the 45% thing. I suppose I didn't consider that as I have no problems reversing down the ramp so couldn't actually see someone not hitting the brakes "before" going over the side. But then, a few weeks ago I was at a ramp and had to wait for 20 minutes for a new owner to reverse down Jacobs Well ramp. (normally 20 seconds as it is a really easy ramp). Even then, you could have the first 500mm as a 45% angle and then start the steps.

I will still hold out hope for the rings though.

CQ_Fisher

G'Day Boys,

I agree with Cheech. There are just simple little things that could be done to make boat ramps alot more user friendly for when launching and retrieving alone. I am lucky to not have to worry too much about waiting at crowded ramps as i live in Gladstone and the only time of year you have to wait for more than 5 mins is the long weekend in June when the Boyne Tannum Hook-Up comp is on. As for people who cannot reverse at ramps, they are very frustrating. I have only had my boat for about 18 months and i am very conscious of other people at boat ramps, i try to be as quick as possible as to not hold up other boaties cause i now how annoyed i can get at slow people. When i first got the boat i even went to an empty carpark to perfect my reversing before i had to do it on the ramp with people watching me. About 6 months ago some idiot reversed down the ramp and straight into the wheel guard on my trailer putting a large dint in it (not happy Jan)

Cheers
    JD

Cheech i think your onto something there mate!!
    CQ_fisher mate i see its your birthday tomorrow maybe u can get that dint fixed for it!!! LOL
    cheers
    Liam

I tell you what would be great, a "flag Pole " marker at the entrance to the lane of the ramp. Multi lane ramps with concrete kerbing are fine, but finding the entrance is a bitch,when the slope of the ramp starts at the same entrance point. Once you get into the lane and on the same slope with your vehicle, there are no worries
    David

CQ ,

good on ya mate least you went and practised in a empty carpark,theres nothing like being at the ramp and watching a bloke with a brand new rig and hes all over the place like a mad womens shit,then his missus starts screaming at him,then its a full on domestic at the ramp,and the wheels havent even touched the water yet :- .,not even a offer of help does any good cause the poor bastards that wound up hes gunna get his boat in all by himself sometime that day.