Thread: Thanks to Tony aka Agnes Jack

Thanks to Tony aka Agnes Jack

Just a quick thanks to Tony of Agnes Bait and Tackle.

Dropped in to the shop on arrival at 1770 (well Agnes Waters), and got the local heads up on the fishing front. Tony was very generous in his advice and pointed us to all the local hot spots.
    Unfortunately, the weather was against us at the time and the fishing was consequently slow. Also had a 5 year old in tow that limited the time we could spend on the river and prevented us getting outside.

Regardless, we had a great time in a beautiful part of the world....next time I will be heading up that way in Oct/Nov to try an avoid the SE winds that plagued us during our trip.

Cheers Tony and thanks again mate.

Re: Thanks to Tony aka Agnes Jack

byron did u check out the main agnus waters surf beach.. whats was the surf like. i guess it would have been preety good.

Yes mate the surf was in good shape. A little blown out with the South Easterlies, but what I noticed seemed pretty reasonable with the swell the wind had generated from the south.
    I was informed it is the most northerly surf beach in Aus. I expect that it could be excellent with the right combination of swell and wind conditions

I just wish Tony's shop was in Brissy. Would probably buy all my gear there, even if I could get it cheaper at amart.

The advice he has passed on from personal experience, as well as a bait shop owner is excellent. Even little things like knowing slightly damaged pillies can be a good sign as there were probably just not thored before breaking up before bagging. That stuff is really important.

If I am ever up that way I want to stop in. Even if it is just to say thanks.

No worries Byron!
    Nice to meet you guys! The weather has just come good again the last 2 days. Heaps of action around the front of the headland with Spanish, Mack tuna, Long tails and yellowtail king.

# # # # # # # #Hope to see you back in Oct-Nov.
    # # # # # # # # # #Regards, Tony
    Local Guy- Had some awsome surf over the last few weeks!
    The surfies are grinning while the fishos are crying!

yeah. i'd beleive that agnes_jack.
    i wouldn't say agnus waters is the northern most surf beach in qld.. it would be the most recognised northern surf beach, but there are heaps of spots up around Yeppoon and further north. Kemp beach when the wind is blowing 30knots E for 2 days. then Farnbrough Beach which is a great beach break, 9mile, 5rocks, 3 rivers, the list goes on and on.

Local guy,

True - I've actually surfed the bar at Corio Bay north of Yeppoon. Was up there a couple of years ago with the longboards. Got taken out by jetski and was riding the break on the sandbars inside the bar - bloody great fun.

Mudcrabs from inside the bay were even better

Bugman

Always the way Tony....but with luck I will get a chance to visit later in the year.

All the best mate and thanks again

Bloody South Easters
    Thanks again Tony (Agnes) for the 'Marks' around Bustard, but strong winds for the last 2 weeks prevented us from fishing them and any other reef locations out from Turkey Beach

Cheers
    Craigie.

Craigie
    It always seems to be the way mate, as soon as an ausfisher goes home the weather comes good! We have just had the longest run of continuous bad weather that I can remember!
    We had a go offshore yesterday, wasnt too bad a day about 10-15 knts, swell dropped off nicely. Got some nannigai,moses perch,grunter,6kg snapper etc etc. Will post a report tommorrow (forgot to bring my camera to work today).
    How did you go on the muddies? They seem to be powering at the moment. Did you manage any jacks around Turkey? They also seem to have come on the chew recently.
    Hope you enjoyed your trip anyway, Regards, Tony

I was in 1770 last week. I would agree Tony was one of the nicest blokes you will care to meet. He was very generous with his time and advice. The weather was a bit ordinary but still managed plenty of Mack tuna and spotties as well as a 15kg Spanish five minutes from the ramp. Awesome! Also had a day up the creek and managed a gold spotted cod on lure which was a new type of fishing for me. I am going for two weeks at the end of June. Can hardly wait.

Tony,

I knew it , weather and fish would come good as soon as we got back to Brisbane.

Mud Crabs were going well at Turkey, saved the day actually.
    Just posting a report (with pics) now.

Cheers
    Craig.