Thread: Another regulations issue

Another regulations issue

It is my understanding that inshore commercial fishing is not permitted on weekends.
    I know for a fact that the beam trawlers cannot work and I'm pretty sure netting is not allowed.
    The only exception might be crabbers checking their pots.

Why then are commercial fishers allowed to throw cast nets for prawns on weekends from commercial vessels with no regard for rec fish bucket limits?
    They have been out there in amongst the crowds every weekend the prawns have been on.

Dave ><>

hoge

Re: Another regulations issue

After talking with the Fisheries Department re several fellows on several trawlers throwing nets i was asssured that they were within their rights, even though it was mid week and they were inside the no-trawl zone.( Nudgee Beach) I dont know how they would inforce the 10 litre bag limit but you would imagine that the crabbers would be in the same boat as us ametures. It is up to every one of us to report any suss activities to the authroties.

mick

good to hear you guy's getting a few prawns down your way.
    imho, they can pretty well do whatever they want as fisheries never seem to be around to keep them in check,
    there are more holes in the various laws and regs, than my bloody cast net
    pro's arent supposed to fish the pummicestone passage either but there has been a pro netting just south of clarks jetty on the rising tide. just need to get close enough to get his rego number > >
    cheers
    dazza

Dave,

Direct from fisheries:

Commercial fishers can use cast nets on weekends under recreational fishing rules. Note the new rule the commercial boat marks can not be covered up. They would be subject to the bag limit. If observers believe an illegal activity is taking place they should ring the hot line.

So yes they're allowed to do it - but their catch must be the same as yours.

If you or anyone else feels that they're exceeding their rec bag limit - I'd take down their rego number and ring fisheries straight away.

Fisheries may not act straight away, ie send a boat, but reports go on file and if a track record is proven - people will be asked to show cause.

Bugman

Latest inside info - I've just heard it from 'the horse's mouth' a pro was spoken to by Fisheries on Sunday at the mouth of the Logan and advised that he must satisfy rec fishing regulations.
    He is not required to cover his pro license numbers.
    I don’t believe he was fined.
    Personally I couldn’t care less about his numbers - but if he's fishing with rec fishos on a weekend - then he need to observe the same rules as rec fishos.

Dave ><>