Thread: calliope

s.tury

calliope

im possibly heading up to calliope in a few weeks to visit relies i recon i'll get to sneak away for a fish , but does anyone have any spots i could try, i'll be boatless thou.

Re: calliope

near the power station in gladstone aswell there is a road off the calliope
    rd heading north it leads to a crossing there is some good water there(i think the locals call it the old highway ???) also try at banarby(spelling)
    off the highway as you cross the river near the awonga dam turn off upstream side of the bridge i have caught a few fish there hope this is of some help to you

cheers gary

s.tury

thanks caveman will give it a go the brother in law should know where your talking about

try and get some live bait for near the hot water outlet of the power
    station as some barra hang around the warmer water

Toolooha Boat ramp or should i say five hundred meters north of the Boat ramp there's a ledge of Rocks/Oyster rocks ..Some bream at present but heaps of snags there(Odd mangrove jack also)...
    Fifty meters or thereabouts north again from those rocks you will see a clearingin among the mangroves..
    Plenty of Airogaurd or Rid and a halfetide up,some gumboots and cast out as far as you can with fresh prawns will give you some real nice Grunter...
    Down below the Calliope River Road Bridge to the right off the rocks should also give you some nice Bream andthe odd nice salmon splashin about..
    In the Marina offa the Trawler Wharfe or the bank leading onto that wharfe will give you good bream plus the stray Coral trout or two...
    Fish light sinkerwise with all places mentioned otherwise your up for a renewal of your sinker collection .
    Cheers

S-Tury,

Old Happyknacker here.
    Ummm better explain that I guess... Glad Stone = Happy Knacker

Try fishing the railway bridge from Mt Miller side, produces Bream, Grunter, school jew and salmon when they are around.
    The salmon should be coming on soon and I never miss at this spot when land based.
    Good muddies here too.
    You need to be there right on low tide and fish the first few hours of the run in for salmon.
    There is a good chance of a barra here to, but make sure you fish off the pylon landing to get on the gravel bottom, otherwise you will be fishing over a featureless mud bottom.
    Half pillies or mullet fillet are the go for most species although you'll need live mullet for the barra, and dont be afraid to use big baits and big hooks.
    I use nothing under a 5/0 and a 7/0 for the salmon.

To get there drive down the entrance road to Orica chemicals then turn left when you hit the railway line then follow it until you cant go any further.
    Take the mossie repellant mate as they will carry you away

Live baits out from the power station hot water outlet will get you a skinny or a barra, but fish the mouth of this outlet with no weight or a long leader under a float, again low tide is best.

Good luck....
    Cheers,
    Rich.

s.tury

thanks heaps everyone i rekon i cant miss getting something ive only got a few days up there so your tips will give me a good head start at a feed

s.tury

does anyone know if you can fish off the wharves in gladstone ?only 5 more day's to go .ONE WEEK OFF [smiley=laola.gif]