Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why do you go fishing?

Re: Why do you go fishing?

why do i go fishing

i used to go fishing to piss the ex handbrake off,now i go fishing with mates to piss there handbrakes off hahahahahaha

I go fishing to teach my son some values instead of him playing computer games all his life. I only lure fish and get a buzz out of it, we usually don't bring any fish home, my missus buys them.

Cheers
    Murray

bidkev

Ticked 'em all Jeremy.

For me, it's a way of the family doing things together. We all like camping and fishing. I have 3 foster kids as well as my own, who came to me for 3 days 41/2 yrs ago :-) They had never seen a rainforest, a lake, or the surf. The look on their faces when they latch into something says all that needs to be said about fishing as a family.

That said, there *are* times when I like to be out there entirely alone, or with me best mate having a beer. (Can you imagine 5 kids and a missus in the boat asking you for bait or hooks just as you get a run :-)

I had a pretty shitty upbringing and used to run away to fish (when I was only 8yrs old), with the gear that I had nicked and kept hidden. My first rod was a snooker cue and an old wooden walnut cenre-pin reel. I used to stay out all night on a metal pier in the UK in -2d and piss on my hands to keep 'em warm and I used to make a point of walking through the busiest part of town the following day, with these huge cod slung over my shoulder so that I could show 'em off. Posing ###### wasn't I? There isn't a cod to be caught in that town now, what with Britains European "allies" allowed to fish the waters :-(

I think fishing has stayed in my memory as being the *only* times that I *truly* enjoyed myself or felt worthy (as a kid), despite the weather and sea conditions being downright dangerous.

I've thought a lot about *why* I (and others) fish and in my case I think it is the basic hunter/gatherer in all of us that drives me. That said, I don't mind if I don't catch, it's just that "being at one" with nature. I get as big a thrill out of digging/catching my own bait or purchasing it at knock-down prices.......the same with tackle.

The other thing is the "kinship" with fellow fishos. I'm comfortable with most fishos (except the yellow raincoats) and there is always "common ground" to have a jaw or simply a nod of the head as you pass each other in your boats.

Yep! Fishing is great.......a great leveller.

kev

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin
    Ticked 'em all Jeremy.

I'm comfortable with most fishos (except the yellow raincoats) and there is always "common ground" to have a jaw or simply a nod of the head as you pass each other in your boats.

Yep! Fishing is great.......a great leveller.

kev

intresting this what you said as the fact that most if not all of us will nod our head or give a wave when passing another boat and yet on the road in our car if you saw the same people you would not think about giveing a wave but just getting to where you go
    i need to admit that is what i like THE BEST about fishing/boating the fact that everyone is happy and helpful always waveing or noding or just a quick "caught any today mate?"

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by basserman

<snip>
    i need to admit that is what i like THE BEST about fishing/boating the fact that everyone is happy and helpful always waveing or noding or just a quick "caught any today mate?" #
    You speak Vietnames then? ;-)

kev

nah i don't own a yellow rain coat yet