Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do you go fishing?

Why do you go fishing?

So what is the main reason you go fishing? For me, it is the thrill of the chase and the fun of the fight. I keep a few for the table, but it would be much cheaper for me to buy fish when I take into account all the money I spend on bait, lures, petrol, boat, camping, food etc.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Re: Why do you go fishing?

Jeremy,

I need to tick more than one.

I think I've got different attitudes at different times - depending on what trip I'm doing. Sometimes I'm fishing for thrill - like chasing tuna on light gear - but I still might take one home for the table.

Other times I'll target getting a feed - like bottom bashing for reefies or tailor and whiting fishing in the surf.

And there's the odd fishing trip (annual) which is really just an excuse to have a drink - Fraser in October - fishing is really secondary.

Other times I'm happy just to be there - standing in the surf at straddie on a gorgeous sunny day or drifting in the boat of a glassed out day in the bay - on these times fish just get in the way.

Bugman

Fair enough comment Bugman. I guess that would probably be true for most people. Some trips would have a different emphasis. Still, I am interested in the MAIN reason people go fishing most of the time.

Cheers,

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."

Apathy is the enemy

I ticked other because it is all of the above.

i go fishing for the pleasure of catching fish the antisipation(spelling) of getting the big one, sometimes to get away from the g/f and just to be on the water and sometimes for a feed
    thats my reasons

cheers
    jeff

Jeremy
    Had to tick them all!

Tony

Im the same with bugman....it really depends how I feel at the time and yer its just one of those things that you can't really have one answer for. But I would probly say enjoy catching fish outa the those!
    Tight Lines
    Liam

I am sure I set this up so you can only tick one box? What did you do Agnes_Jack?

Interesting results so far with a pretty even spread of responses.

Jeremy

Apathy is the enemy

I ticked them all Jeremy - it let me

I ticked the lot Jeremy.
    There are so many reasons that I enjoy fishing, there is not enough room to list them all!

Regards, Tony

All of the above, just like Tony.

Ditto... all of the above.

I ticked 'em all 'cause I'm getting old & by the time I got to the bottom of the list I forgot what the question was at the top , Signed um! arr! err! no no hints now I'll remember who I am in a minute I'll just go & have a little lay down back soon. Cheers ><> ><> ><>.

HI ALL the only thing is to hte about fishing is dry lines and no fish. and in my case no boat to wet those lines ,and to catch the bigger critters my rods and i so need to get onto. to jeremy and the rest of the lads. A thought, we are only human thats why we fish, its in our nature PS . AGNUS YOU ARE THE MAN IN A VERY FISHY PART OF HEAVEN THANKS MARK

Personally, I think catching fish is just the consolation prize that we get after having a great time out on the water.

Whether we be fishing on the beach, in a creek, relaxing on a boat, getting a workout on a boat chasing game or whatever - we're mostly doing it primarily for the feelings fishing invokes in us.

I also believe that is why people would refer to us as fishos - because we're people that find something or another interesting in fishing. Whether it be being out on the water, having the rod in your hand, anticipating the bites, waiting for the big one, laughing and enjoying catching the small ones, sharing it with your mates, enjoying the solidarity of being by yourself - the list goes on. All of these feelings, thoughts and emotions we get while we're fishing is what makes us come back for more next time, and what gives us the name fishos.

At the end of the day though, I'd say most devote fishos wouldn't care less if they caught fish or not - it's just the added bonus on top of everything else that we get into it for.

Because of this, I ticked the lot.

Ben