Thread: A question regarding bait jigs

wacco_fozzy

A question regarding bait jigs

I've seen those multi-hook feathered bait jigs in various shops, and seen ET on TV using them in conjunction with a sounder to gather some live bait from a channel.

Can these jigs be effective cast off the bank, or do you really need to drop them over the side of a boat or from a bridge etc to give you a chance to jig them up and down?

Do you bait them in any way, or just rely on the attraction of the feathers?

Re: A question regarding bait jigs

Wacco
    We often use the jigs off the rocks with no problems, Just cast them out and wind back using a sink and wind technique. You may find them arkward if you have to bring them in over shallow water though. Often if results are a bit slow, a small piece of squid on each hook can help. One thing that can help from the bank is to put them under a float, it only takes a light movement to get results most of the time. One thing we have found worthwhile, is to use a small raider or slug instead of a sinker on the end. Have caught some nice fish doing that, also had a few jigs torn to pieces doing it too.

Regards, Tony

There is also a jig that comes in a purple/mauve packet(youvella?)that has only a brace of three jigs on it,the lads around here use them to cast from a boat when the Slimies are holding in tight to a bomie.

Gordon_Scamp

I have a couple of old timers that come into my shop who use bait jigs off the beach for whiting. They just cast them out and use a slow retrieve allowing the jig to bounce over the bottom. The seem to get good result this way.
    Rewgards,
    Gordon

Gday Gordon
    Ive got a few customers who actually troll bait jigs for watsons bonito with very good results!
    Just lately Ive been experimenting with larger size bait jigs offshore, and providing you make them strong enough, all sorts of species seem to luv em. Caught a few snapper, spangled emperor,
    small mouth nannigai. Its the only way to catch hussar when there are a good school around, 2 drops and youve bagged out!
    What shop have you got Gordon?

Regards, Tony

wacco_fozzy

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll give some a go and let you know how I get on!

Gordon_Scamp

Tony,
    I,ve got the Tackle World Store in Sandgate, Brisbane. It used to be one of the Archie's stores, I took over in January 2002.
    Regards,
    Gordon

Gordon
    I met Archie just after he had sold his stores, I think he said his son was going to hold on to one of em. Hope it works well for ya!

Regards, Tony

i use small bits of prawn or pillies on each hook to get yellowtail. seems to work better than just using the jig