Thread: Rule 1 when catchng live bait

wacco_fozzy

Rule 1 when catchng live bait

Rule 1 - KEEP THE LID ON THE BAIT BUCKET!

Went to Currumbin Creek yesterday to catch some poddy mullet etc for bait. I don't have a cast net so I use some old cordial bottles baited with bread, works OK most of the time until the toadfish arrive

Things were a little slow and after 30 minutes I only had one fish, around 12cms long. Dropped him into my 20 litre bucket and waded out to drop the bottles back in.

I turned around to head back to shore to see a grey heron perched on the edge of the bucket with MY FISH in his gob. The fish was too big for him to swallow in one go so he flew up the beach to work on it. I hope he chokes.

Re: Rule 1 when catchng live bait

lol. normally they jump out of the bucket to freedom with me :-)

A bird is bad enough but my problem is my staffie who takes them out & drops them back. Doesn't like water much but will dunk his head to rescue fish.

You get the same problem when you fish the canals. The water rats take a liking to your bait and your catch.
    Tony

Hey Guys
    Another thing is to make sure the live bait tank hasnt got and ESCAPE SHOOTS without gauze on it!!!
    had an experience today, caught 2 live pillies and travelling along and stopped to rig up and then realised the tragedy!!
    UNLUCKY I WOULD SAY
    anyway guys
    May your lines be as tight as a fish's ass
    Martin

Hey how do you catch podys with the crodial bottles? Ive never seen this done, it sounds like a good thing though.

Turps

wacco_fozzy

Hi Turps. I got the recipe from Dave Ward, who post here from time to time I think.

Anyway - take a clear plastic bottle (I use 2 litre Cottees ones) and on the biggest side of the bottle cut a slot about 80mm long by 40mm wide, then cut little slots 12mm long in each corner of the big slot, then fold these down inside.

Put a couple of rocks or sinkers inside to hold it on the bottom and some rope to be able to find the thing in the water. For bait I microwave slices of bread until they are rock hard, then crush one or two of these up inside the bottle.

If you let the bottle fill with water carefully and then give it a shake when it hits the bottom, the bread crumbs form a nice burley and the bigger chunks left inside are what attracts them into the trap.

Good luck - Dave

Sounds great, I'll definitely give this a go next time I'm out and about.

Cheers

Turps