Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fish for fishtank(jack)

fish for fishtank(jack)

lookin for info to buy mangrove jack for fish tank in nsw anyone know where to get them

Re: fish for fishtank(jack)

try and catch one if you have them in your area.ive got bream in my tank,it's pretty cool to watch them eat live bait

thats one fish i would like to have in a tank the bream

may be a bream and bass

ohh... when i saw the thread title i thought some one wanted to through jack (fisherman02) in a fish tank... hrmm that has me thinkin

LOL Jeff.

I've got barra in my fishtank. Everyone loves them, especially the kids. They are very hardy, but do not like chemicals. Only chemicals i use now is the stuff to wipe out clorine. Barra (and jacks too) will go bullistic when you put something live in the tank like prawns, mullet & frogs. The barra/jacks have to be fairly big though to get them down their gob. My fish are now just under 20cm and they can not handle even small mullet.

When I was in brisbane a couple of months ago, i found a pet super warehouse at Capalaba, that had all types of fish, including jacks. They are hard to get as they do not breed in captivity very well. Gladstone Water Board have been successful in breeding them, but failing that, catch one

good luck

Look, I've had a saratoga (leichardti), a bass, and others. Mate had similar, plus yellowbelly.

If you want personality at a reasonable price, get an Oscar. The southern 'toga was a great fish, but eventually needed a wading pool, which is a bit hard to heat, and I ain't skinny dippin' with a toga.

My jack is OK, but, at the price, there are better cichlids around for $5. And, while I have seen jacks with other fish with my own two little eyes, I can't manage it.

Rick k

you think heating a wading pool is hard, I have five Barramundi in my swimming pool. Reckon will need to sell/eat em in the next month cause I am not gonna heat that bloody thing. They wont be to bad to get out of the pool, its the red and blue claw crays that will be a bit harder.
    One thing tho, people don't realise how much it can cost to keep fish that eat live food, I buy 15 gold fish a time to feed five Barra, at $30 a time. Really need to feed them twice a week at a minimum ($60), so I carry a cast net and live bait tank (bucket with a lid, and air pump) around in the ute stopping at Oxley creek and other spots to get what every is there. It is a fair bit of work. My African cichlids are a lot easier to work with.

oscars are a great fish, easy to look after and love to eat the live food
    i have had mine for about 6 years , he was about a 1inch long when i got him
    now hes around the 10 inch mark
    and you dont have to allways use live food

oscars may be a good fish to have (i dont know,ive never had one) but i think a bream,bass,barra or a jack would be alot better for the WOW factor you would get when people see them.i still cant go past my fish tank with out stopping and watching my bream for a while.they would have to be the coolest fish ive ever put in there and very easy to look after,for me anyway.i feed them blood worms,mullet,taylor and garfish (chopped) live guppies and live prawns,i catch everything my self so its allways fresh,i recon they would be the best fed bream there are

When buying an oscar you have to take into consideration that they are bloody ugly brutes. Jacks have the same agression minus the ugly factor though if you want to buy one be prepared to pay a bit of money. I've seen them in pet shops for anything up to a couple of hundred so buying a little fella and fattening him up is probably the way to go. Bungie my pool is full of fish aswell. 3 barcoo grunter 20 silvers and a dozen or so bass. We were going to put barra in but they're ment to snuff it at 10 degrees. Our pool gets below 8 in the winter so we swayed towards bass and the like. A tun of fun whatching them take bugs off the suface and chase little shrimp.

first my misses would kill me if i started to put fish in our pool [smiley=hanged.gif]
    but i would like to know what type of setup you have for the bream as i would love to soon or later get about a 6' tank and put something like some bream and flathead or some thing loacal to out water ways down here
    i have got mates with bass but would think a bream or two would look alot nicer

Basserman, my wife thinks your wife is OK.

Mine thought she was getting the pool back for last Xmas, but I was just toooooooooooo busy to get em out. So we had low 40c around Xmas, a swimming pool, and a house full of girls pissed off with me cause they couldn't use the pool

so i take it you went fishing alot over crissy LOL