Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WHO WANTS TO LEARN STUFF? 96% Don't want to...!

Re: WHO WANTS TO LEARN STUFF? 96% Don't want to...

Oh boy, that's pretty low, swearing at a sick kid like that. > I think you're right. Maybe a nice swim would have done him good! Might have given "Mr. Happy" a new outlook on life. Oh well, hope your brother turns his attitude around and sees the light soon (at least for the sake of his son if nothing else!).
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee
    well i have been in a situation where no one answered to log on, and at another time a 2nd boat with me logged on, only to find he couldnt log off, this was using wynnum ramp fishing green. btw redcliffe eventually answered him after the boat was up on the traler for around 20 mins.... mmmmm if need be i can probably get the guy to confirm this. this doesnt help the cause although i am in great favour of it, but as stated earlier, pensioners don't get a go.
    cheers
    Joe.
    Hi Ian,

What *is* the preferred channel to log on/off?

The first time I logged on at (location witheld in order to avoid undermining confidence) was via channel 88 as I couldn't raise 'em on 90. 91. 98. When I got back in I couldn't raise 'em at all and I was on the ramp! I walked over to the station and told 'em that I couldn't raise them and that my radio was ok. They looked at me as if they thought I was bloody lying or something. I then asked 'em what was their preferred channel for logging. There was three of them sat playing cards and they all looked at me as if I was thick......OK.......I have a strong Pom accent so I'm used to those looks :-) They had to discuss it between themselves to give me an answer! and they came up with 91. The next time out I tried 91 and got no response and haven't used the bloody log out/in facility since.

I now let friends know where and when I am returning, a habit that has stuck since my mountain leadership days. This isn't totally satisfactory for me, but I'm buggered if I'm going to be "looked down at" because some rescue org thinks that I'm thick, when in fact, not only I, but others had the same experience of not being able to raise them on the day in question.

On that day in particular, the return was very lumpy and I'd smashed above my eye on the corner of the windscreen. The resulting cut bled heavily into my eyes. My wife is a nurse and managed to steri-strip it very quickly whilst still under steam/control. I had been giving way to a yachting regatta when this bloody big yacht changed tack and headed right for us. I had no option than to attempt to turn away which dropped me into a big trough when I would be otherwise "cresting". I'm just making a further point that when I walked into that station I had a blood-soaked towel to my head and my face covered in blood and not one of the crew questioned me as to how.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not criticising the rescue organisations per se, but I must've got these buggers on a bad hair day. I felt totally alienated, which is why I used that word in my previous response.

Good luck and may the "boating wankers" get fewer :-)

kev

I agree with a lot of what has been said already

Time and distance is not an excuse really!
    Time and distance IS an issue really.
    Believe me, I would be the first with my hand up for the chance at the learning you are offering, but geeze it makes for an awfully long weekend when I would have to drive from Hervey Bay. Night courses are of course impossible.
    I sat here reading of the last Radio Operators Course, thinking "geeze I wish I had the chance. ? I can get accom in Brissy for nothing, so maybe I can make the chance.?"

Maybe the post wasn't meant to come out the way it did, but it sure made me think twice about making arrangements to participate.

Thats just My Humble opinion
    Cheers
    Mark