Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sunshine Coast Barramundi?

Re: Sunshine Coast Barramundi?

just on the natives with Barra. monduran dam near Gin Gin has Bass and Barra .
    when i fished here all i got was Bass,Catfish, Turtles. so they seem to be liveing together ok.
    I know that in confined spaces barra are going to be the domiant species because they grow faster and they are a more agressive fish.
    but again they should be stocking more Cod first, but the stupid thing ive heard is that there is only 1 cod aqua culture center autherized by the gov to breed these fish and with the demand for cod fingerlings it dosn't many for our dams ,with the river re-stocking program thats going on.

Cheers Cloud 9
    then it realy gets ughly

Spot on Cloud 9.....would love to stock Cod.....you cant get em in any numbers.

Barra though, thats a whole other kettle of fish.

RG

i have to agree ....Cod stocking should come before Barra !!

question on the growth rate of Barra though ..
    The water temps on the lower QLD damns are at least a couple of degrees below already stocked damns .
    What kind of impact do you think this will have on their metabolism ?
    Longer life , slower growth !?....it is really hard to estimate the damage or lack of damage that could be caused....hard one to call !

Tinaroo in Far North supports huge Barra populations in colder water due to the elevation....Somerset and Big W would support the same populations. I believe that the Barra may be slower growing in cooler water...but who cares?

I`m no authority, but I hang in a group of committed anglers who are informed and good for the cause.

I really hope Barra come here soon.

Randall.

Swiss cheese policy if you ask me, and if that’s the reasoning the same type of thinking that would quickly see any more stocking of mangrove jacks in impoundment’s come to an end.
    Funny how an agency can draw a set line for barra on map but have shifting standards for many other fish stocking policies.
    “Let’s not turn our catchments into exotic zoo’s”.
    Exotic, dictionary meaning: not native, from a foreign country, imported, from a distant land.
    Hardly a description of the humble Australian Barramundi.
    Unfortunately the Exotics such as tilapia/carp don’t seem to understand translocation policies, mean while our natives are locked in behind invisible lines.
    By 2070 with climate change and barra moving beyond the border, the same narrow minded people will be transporting barra back to the Burnett just to keep them behind the line .

Roger