Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: what do you do for a crust?

what do you do for a crust?

hey guys... im trying to make a few decisions regarding future careers. interested to see what every one else does for work, and wether they are happy in their job--- if the answer is no... what do you WISH you did to bring home a days pay. cheers.
    jeff
    ps. would prefer no smart arsed replies if at all possible *looks at kev and lucky phil*

s.tury

Re: what do you do for a crust?

im a plumber jeffo not a bad job although you would be hard pressed finding anyone who enjoy's there job especialy after doing it for so many years . what sort of work have you done?

I'm a plumber/drainer.
    Have my own business in the western suburbs, Kenmore, Indooroopilly, City, through to Ascot. Been doing it for over twenty years now. Its a good trade, different types of work each day, copper work one day, drainage another, maintenance, new house's. New customers all the time, so new faces. Some very cute housewife's . 5 knots and I'm off onto the water Not siting on a production line pushing a button.

i am only 20 ATM... been landscaping/paver laying since i left school 2 years ago. other than that i packed shelves at woolies for 3 years and worked at a fishing shop when i was knee high to a grasshopper.

gday jeffo, i work for an electrical construction company, we are always looking for labourers. pays is good, and conditions arent to bad, long days. i enjoy the money, hate the work. Am studying part time at uni, want to work for the dpi in fisheries research. hope this helps.
    cheers bubba

Jeff,

I am a sparky for a big transport company....

And am now in a position where I help out with managing Electrical based projects....
    Loved doing my apprenticeship and my job is great,

However Only thing I strive for would be to get out of the trade and do something that is more for me .....ie "Own my own business."

A tackle shop at Agnes waters would be my kind of ideal job....

Big_Kev

Aw c'mon now I'm gonna have a sulk and not answer at all.
    (wimper wimper, hurt feelings)

I work for a brewery and love the job. Been there nearly ten years and can't really see myself leaving. Used to work in the construction industry before hand and spent time in PNG before I got married and had to settle down.

For a crust though I wear the same pair of jocks for a month.

Cheers, Clutter

i work at a large golf coause resort on the gold coast
    and i look after all the grog there
    gotta luv them samples

am a boilermaker/welder by trade,,did my apprentiship and a few years after and have been out of it ever since...great as far as i always have that to fall back onto,,but as far as a job,,,its not very nice....getting burnt,,,always hot,,sniffin fumes all the time behind a helmet....lot better ways to make a living.....
    at the moment i work for a trucking company supervising loading of trucks of a night,,do about 3 hrs a night 5 nights a week and get paid for 40hrs,,,dont see myself leaving for quiet some time....
    paz 8)

A Licenced Plumber,Drainer, Gasfitter that stumbled into a Project Managers role looking after Mechanical Services (AirCon. )in Large Commercial & Industrial contracts.

I couldn't see my self doing any thing else now.

Ray

i work in retail jewelery, have no intent in going into the making of it but from all the jewelers i know they get paid quite well and their work is usually in high demand

Refrigeration Mechanic by trade. Self employed doing air conditioning installations and break downs on domestic and commercial projects.

I started working in hospitalty when i was about 14 or 15 as i thought i wanted to be a chef. I had a great passion for food and wine at a young age and I ended working as a waiter/bartender then onto restaurant manager and food and beverage manager of some of the finest hotels, resorts and restaurants all over australia and all over the world. i worked on cruise ships and could have worked on the airlines if i wanted too. to some people this may sound like a dream job, but let me tell ya, working 60-70 hors a week, split shifts days and night, working weekends and public holidays including xmas day aint all that fun. working with people sux too. I didnt go home for xmas for 8 years at one stage and it was then i decided i had enough.

I had always loved fishing and really became fond of it whilst working on the resorts of the great barrier reef, and it wasnt until the ripe old age of 25 that i decided i'd much rather spend my life looking after fish than looking after people - fish dont complain and theyre never rude - so i decided to go to university to get my piece of paper, bachelor of science marine biology to be precise.

I just wanna job where i get to go fishing everyday and dont have to wear shoes to work.

I suggest you do a job that you feel you would love to spend the rest of your life doing, rather than be attracted to a job by how much it pays or the perks that come along with it.

its no good working your ass off all your life to make lots of money, only to become sick and have to spend all your time in bed and all your money on medical bills to get better. You could get hit by a bus 2morrow mate, so whatever you chose to do, make sure you its something you enjoy doing.

Diesel fitter by trade (dont care if i dont pick up another spanner, 25 years of that) Been self employed for about 12 years, first as a contract mechanic and while doing that set up a printing business (did not know how to print, learnt fast, had to, to pay the bank back.) while printing all lot of clients reqested signs, so again, with no knowledge, spent another 25k and started doing signs (easy Money and good bird watching) somewhere along the track we started selling computers and fixing them. Had a quiet patch and started installing austar, also done dairy herd milk testing on contract, contract cowshed and domestic building, probable done just about any thing legal for a dollar, mostly contract (the only way to earn what you are worth)
    These days trying to only work about 20hrs a week for between $500 and $1000 a week, some weeks its up to $2000 but some times its basicly nithing for a cuople of weeks, I think you need to follow your dreams, but if it start to affect your health or family life, go on the dole and go fishing, cause i did for a while because i suffered burn out, and you dont wanta go there
    cheers
    blaze