Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: what do you do for a crust?

Re: what do you do for a crust?

giday jeffo
    great thread
    22 pages
    window fitter to commercial buildings. lee

Lee, could get a bit scary on some of those buildings, I'd rather be on the ground myself preferably at sea level.
    Tony

Hi Jeff,
    Am only very new to the site but thought I'd contribute anyway.
    Was born o/seas and moved to Oz at the age of 9.
    Went to school on the Sunny Coast and got into uni. Moved to Brisbane and studied Economics and Business German. Gained additional qualifications and became an internationally accredited interpreter. Graduated and lined up my 'dream' job ..... or so I thought! I was 21 and offered a top job in Frankfurt with Deutsche Bank as a merchant banker dealing with London and N.Y. Fantastic money and everything I ever wanted whilst at Uni, when having some cash seemed important!
    It only took 8 months (read: one winter LOL) working long long hours in a dark and dreary office and I was a former shadow of the kid who grew up fishing to his heart's content on the Sunshine Coast. I was homesick and miserable, missed my family and friends, not to mention that famous Aussie lifestyle. No amount of money can ever constitute being unhappy. Life's too short as it is.
    With my dreams and hopes shattered to bits, I returned back home and decided to purchase a franchise business. Bought a 24 hr/7 day a week convenience store in the heart of the city, worked my ass off doing 90hr weeks, usually 7 days a week for the first 18-24 months, then gradually downscaled. I now own two such businesses and am financially comfortable. I haven't done more than a 50 hr week in the last 2 years and get to work from home a bit. I'm my own boss and that enables me to enjoy a flexible work schedule and lifestyle (read: I fish when I want to)
    Never thought I'd be doing this 10 years ago when I was your age but circumstances made me realise that there's more to life than a career and money. Nowadays, could'nt be happier .... just need to find a way to get back up the coast! ???

Cheers & Beers,
    Herby

p.s. As a new member to the site, it's been nice to learn a little about everyone and what they do and have done. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Retired, work, Ex Ran, aircraft electronics, then Sydney Univ working of the first digital, parallel, computer in OZ, Silliac, then to AWA Ltd, into Space stuff at Carnarvon, Gemini and apollo moon stuff, lotsa fishing, fly etc, 10 years there, then AWA Defence Electronics, Seaking and Tracker sims for RAN, at Nowra NSW, 11 years, then to Alice Springs Jindalee OTHR, 6 years then retired to Perth area WA. Did a fair bit of shooting, pistols, rifles, bit of hunting with special handguns, fantastic stuff, shoot the eye out of a gnat at 200 metres. Bunnies at 200m a snack. Have had a Amateur Radio thing since 1953, not active though, Done a bit of writing, presently involved in a book, soon ????
    Not a bad life, good money, lotsa fun, getting old, not so much fun. Presently involved in computers, net etc. max

Barrymundi

Instrument Fitter, Production Planner, Scheduler, Office Boy, Rigger, Work place Trainer Assesor
    and unemployed in 20 days,

Couldnt be happier

Alan

gruntahunter

own and operate a concrete truck with pioneer concrete...soon to be hanson

Sixty five yrs old. Started work as butcher. Hated it with a passion. Then had forty yrs as upholsterer. Worked hard, too hard, paying for some of it now. Can no longer work full time. Own business most of that time. Possibly the most rewarding and SELF SATISFYING trades available. Good living but no big quid though. Son left bank, joined business, now owns and runs it, give me a job a day or so a week. He told someone the other day leaving the bank for this industry was the best days work he ever did, He must be happy too. Sir Noelus. (Good luck whatever you do.)