Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: what do you do for a crust?

Re: what do you do for a crust?

Plant & Machinery valuer for an auctioneer, been doing it for about 14 years now, gets a bit hard at times being the vulture picking over the bones of someones dead livelyhood (company). Meet some really genuine people who have been screwed by the system or other less scrupulous business's. Meet some real a____holes who need to be in jail as well. But the pay is good and the hours long.

wannabe

I went back to uni and did electrical engineering. I'm now a Project Manager in the defence industry. Good work and good pay.

Like others, started as a mechanic got "A" grade cert., Went to college (Tafe) for post trade courses, marine engines, hydraulics, pnumatics, air con, ABS, etc, etc. Started to climb the ladder making good money, cleaner job just handiing out work for others so they could get dirty. Then I went back to Tafe at night and started a business management course, hung in there for a couple of years but got tired of studying and having to hand in assignments. I worked shift work for nearly 20 years working most christmases and easters and weekends, good money but chucked it in and started up a lawn mowing business. My acquired skills are handy as I make my own trailers and do my own repairs on my vehicles.(And the rellys drop in when they want something done) Jeffo, if you do choose a high tech trade you should realize that you may have to spend a lot of nights at Tafe to keep up with technology. If I had my time over again I would be a weather forecaster with the BOM, doesn't matter what you forecast you still get a good pay at the end of the week. After a few years at that I'd go for governor. The firstmate (driver) can do all the boat preperaton and driving. Just got to get a towbar on the rolls for the boat. When you get home after fishing there's people that will scale, gut, fillet and even cook your fish for you. # # Good luck Jeffo

Tony

homebound

Hi Bungie - Yep - downhill all the way - couldn't take the pace.

Kev - Obviously a man of good taste when it comes to girls. Essex girls are all you've ever dreamed of so eat your heart out - I'm married to one!

All you other fishers - keep up the info its fascinating.

If we are discussing trade/barter of skills, I have nearly 20 years karate training and teaching behind me plus a few years experience in the security industry. I would be prepared to provide security at private parties to Ausfish members. I will be renovating a house soon, so trade for building trades would be good but anything considered.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by homebound
    Hi Bungie - Yep - downhill all the way - couldn't take the pace.

Kev - Obviously a man of good taste when it comes to girls. Essex girls are all you've ever dreamed of so eat your heart out - I'm married to one!

All you other fishers - keep up the info its fascinating.
    My taste is questionable. I married a Mexican (Frankston Victoria, raised in cornwall UK :-) Seriously, she's a cracker.......good 2nd mate and never dropped the anchor on the paintwork yet :-)

Don't know where the jokes about Essex girls originated? I think it was from the yuppie era when a lot of Essex girls were "high flyers".

kev

All of you fridgies out there.

Anyone looking from some boat fuel and tackle money on the side - my outside beer fridge keeps throwing all the powerpoints in the house.

Unless you want video production done - I can't barter but will pay cash

Bugman (Fairfield Brisbane)

Homebound, I was born in Harlow

Kingtin, grew up in Calne in Wiltshire

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by bungie
    Homebound, I was born in Harlow

Kingtin, grew up in Calne in Wiltshire
    Hi Bungie.

Born and bred in Blackpool Lancashire.........a "sandgrown 'un"

kev

Brett, chuck the Cafferry's out and replace it with XXXX Gold, the fridge will return to normal

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

homebound

Bungie, was born in Harlow.....so you must have had some contact with Essex girls?

Kingtin, born and bred in Blackpool Lancashire, grew up in Calne in Wiltshire......another nomad I see.

Any more 'Imports' out there? We may have enough to start a 'wingeing' subsection. Although I may not qualify not originating from the UK but the Czech Republic.

Bugman,

The problem will be that you have moisture going through the heater elements in the fridge coils..Its a common occurance with older fridges...

This leakage causes minor current loss to ground and then subsequently trips the household RCD/Earth Leakage Device/Safety switch.....

You used to be able to install new power circuits to run fridges that were not protected by these safety switches however,Legislation these days states that all power points shall be protected by these such devices,,,

Only solution legally is to toss away fridge,,, Sad But true

Hi Jeffo, I manage a stud cattle property for a Doctor. I have worked on the land all my life and I would not swap. Alway find time to wet a line.
    Stretch

Bugman..adamleah is partially correct. It could be a mullion heater or even the compressor windings. If it is a mullion heater then it may be possible to disconnect that heater and and the fridge will still operate okay. Can never tell without having a look. Send me a pm if you want me to have a look at it for you.

Bugman - A 1:1 isolation transformer may be the go for your fridge also.