Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: what do you do for a crust?

Re: what do you do for a crust?

Now let me see if I've got this right - just for future reference!

s.turry – plumber
    bungie - plumber/drainer
    jeffo - landscaping/paver
    bubba - electrical construction
    adamleah - sparky for a big transport company
    clutter - I work for a brewery
    SCOTTYGC - i work at a large golf coarse resort
    Paz - boilermaker/welder
    Remo - A Licenced Plumber,Drainer, Gasfitter
    Sominc - retail jewellery
    Raefpud - restaurant manager and food and beverage manager
    PinHead - Refrigeration Mechanic by trade
    Blaze - Diesel fitter by trade
    Jaybee - Life Style Worker
    Stark - Had my own company for the last 20 years
    LYNDO - Motor Mechanic by trade
    Bugman - Executive Producer of External and Emerging Platforms ABC New Media
    Kingtin - I now care for 5 kids full-time
    Dazza - i am a registered nurse
    Firetruck - I do health research
    DR - I am a signwriter
    Brissyguy - Am now Business Development Manager
    Billo - Business Analyst
    Stack - Qantas at Bris airport puttin the piss on the planes
    Mundi - I'm an air traffic controller
    BlitzBaga - I spent 20yrs as a fitter and turner, now production manager
    Agnes-jack - Have been running the tackle store for about 3.5 years
    DRDan - Professional UNI BUM
    Poss - Locomotive driver coal trains
    Basserman - courier driver
    SeaHunt - Computer Programmer
    Nictim - My brother and I have an import export business
    Whitesfire - Fire Extinguisher sales and service in Cairns
    NeilD - I lease and/or manage public swimming pools
    Cheech - Currently manage a system support team for a consulting company.
    CaptainZero - Currently a credit analyst
    Klyons - now Loco driver on the Downs
    Maria - At present, I'm studying the degree
    Snappa - 34years and still not sure what i do
    Jeremy - I am a scientist
    Smithy - Technical Officer
    CHRIS-aka-GWH - renting cars & operating parking facilities
    Boatboy50 - driving boats for watersports companies, marine journalist
    Nugget – electronics / rec fishing
    Bazzaman - Im currently in Retail as a manager
    Anzac - i'm a bus driver
    Stagy - mobile line boring
    Brett Finger - roo shooting - Pig Hunting Fishing Guide and Boat Building
    Webby - call me a Old Fart
    Sportfish_5 - Account Manager selling Underground Mining Equipment
    Mattman – apprenticeship as a stonemason
    Nonibbles - registered nurse
    VMR Vicky Point - I flew Jumbo jets
    Priemsy - Been forced out into the paddock
    Heath - look after Broadband to Cable modems and Satellite services.
    Quinny69 – Nursing
    Trevcob - Track worker for Q rail
    Sharkbait - I'm currently studying at uni (yeah give me a PM on your amp.)
    Fitzy - Work for a Brisbane Marine dealer/tackle store at present
    Take5 - Im a cartographer
    Bringback_the_esky - I have been a professional drinker for most of my life
    Ba229 - started uni last year to become a high school teacher
    Jazzy_g - plumbers assistance
    Ausfish - Electrician (Fitter Mechanic), ASR Massage
    Aido - avionics engineer, aviation electronics
    Kingmad - refrigeration mechanic
    argonautical - one man) accounting/tax practice, brokerage business
    Brett_H - manage an equipment rental company

Brett_Hoskin

Isnt it a pity that a barter system couln't be set up . There is a wealth of knowledge and skills here.

Another observation is that Nugget and Brett Finger are the only people with the word FISH listed in their occupation.

G`day all, in my younger days I worked on cattle stations, now I`m a plant operator in the mining game, so all my horses are under the bonnet

Geeeezzzzz,
    Sounds like everyones got a job but me!!!!!!
    Used to worK in retail(Supermarkets)Now I do volunteer driving for the local Respite centre and Meals on Wheels.Keeps me off the streets.

OK, I suppose a non-smart-arse response is called for.

Good post Jeff #

Painter. ( Commercial & Domestic Decorative Engineer )

New domestic and commercial, note I said NEW. I have enough trouble getting to work 5 days a week, without the rellies asking me to do re-paints on the weekend.
    Other ' jobs' were, manager of a Brissie pub, Army, PI and deckie.

Ideal job.........mmmmmmmm that's coming up.
    In the process of manufacturing an item for the fishing industry for sale in the wholesale arena.
    Been offered crew/ skipper duties on H/bay Charter boats, which, once the right Qual's are gained, that's where I'm heading.

Yes Dave, quiet a cross section of careers here.

I'm sure that you or Steve can get together and provide a list of people with skills etc, who are williing to barter/ trade with others here.

ON that note, should anyone require " Paint " at the right price or need 'advice' on painting, please feel free to pm me.

I forgot to mention one of my very first jobs. #I worked at Tip Top bakery in the Donut section. Can't tell you how I made the holes in #the Donuts, cause you'd never eat one again # # #

[move]Cheers Phill ( sorry Jeff ) [/move]
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

programmer.

well Phill thats probably why your wife married you, being a baker with suggar coatings.LOL.
    well at the end of my school days it was apparent that being the class clown wasn't going to get me a job, and not being too smart with the books, i found that i was very good with my hands ( but not typing or spelling )
    liked wood work and drawing at hygh school. got a job making hats for TAA hosties.next job was an apprentice or he said it was making furniture for amart.
    I was his hole work force i did everything myself, coffee tables, waterbeds and shibell mirrors that was what he got me to make.got apprenticship as Chippy in 1980, 1 year out of apprenticship started subbieing , been doing it ever since,works hard sometimes but i've got a lot of nice toys, and it pays the bills. if your only a 10watt bulb start with an apprenticship , if'n your a bit briter get more edumacated first do what u like to do . i liked making things, now i make houses for people.
    then it realy gets ughly

Gorilla_in_Manila

Jeffo,

Here is what NOT to do if you want a life anytime soon.

Straight after year 12, completed a Bacherlor of Engineering (Civil).
    First job I got was building high voltage transmission lines. A bit over two years up and down the east coast of Aus living in construction dongas.
    2months Coffs harbour, 6 or 7 days a week, 10 - 12 hours a day
    2months Lithgow, 6 or 7 days a week, 10 - 12 hours a day
    8months Coffs again, 6 days a week, 10 - 12 hours a day
    All the above involved around 300km per day 4WDing up and down the line route.
    1month Sydney HQ, 5 days a week, 10 hours a day, boring weekends
    4 months Singlton, 6 or 7 days a week, 12 hours a day
    8 months Brisbane, 5 sometimes 6 days a week, 10 hours a day, luxury- got home to fish a couple of times per month.
    Then they asked me if would consider going over to work in Malaysia for maybe 6 or 12 months. Said, "Yep, Why not!" Went home that night and grabbed an atlas to find out where the hell Malaysia was (knew it was up near Singapore or Thailand somewhere, no idea on history, religion, culture, races, etc etc).
    4 months Sydney HQ, general office shit pissing around waiting for Malaysian contract.
    End '92 sent to Malaysia, stiff shit about being home for christmas.
    12 months, telecoms towers all around Peninsular Malaysia.
    Then 8 months helping out my room mate who was Project Manager on a transmission line job just south of KL. 6 sometimes 7 days a week, 10 - 12 hours a day
    Then went to Sri Lanka for 5 months or so as PM / Site Engineer / Norman the Foreman / Rigger / Fitter and stuck up a few Telecoms towers and some cable racks and mounts and stuff.
    Back to Malaysia.
    1 Month optic fibre splicing and testing training and then doing it.
    Got nominated as the Project Manager for a upcoming 500kV Transmission Line job.
    3 or 4 months prepwork and miscellaneous tender visits and optic fibre stuff, before being awarded the job.
    2 years as PM for that job.
    1st 6 months, mainly 6 days a week, 12 hours a day
    Next 12 months, mainly 7 days a week, 12 - 14 hours a day. Worked most sundays for about 4 to 6 hours. Think my record without a day off was close to three months straight at one point.
    Last 6 months, 6 days a week, 10 hours a day. Refused to go into work sundays.
    Pretty burnt out by this stage, but finished the job.
    Should have sat around for the next 6 months for winding up stage and took it easy#for awhile on 5 days a week and 8 hour days. But quit and took a job with a local Malaysian company as their Operations Manager, 3 or 4 telcoms construction projects and half a dozen tower supply jobs. That lasted a bit over a year and a half and was luxury at 5 and 1/2 days per week, 9 hours a day.
    Sick of working OS so flew back to aus and lurked around home for about 6 months. 6 to 12 months overseas had somehow turned into 6 and 1/2 years.
    Just starting to wonder what I want to do when a mate calls, do I want 6 months work in the Philippines? Not really, but may as well since I've got nothing better in mind.
    2 years, 6 days a week, 10 hours a day. 140 more telecoms towers planted.
    Pretty burnt out again. Had about a year and a half off during which I got engaged, got married and got started on a family.
    Just done another 7 months work compiling construction prices for some mobile phone networks.
    4 1/2 months Philippines, 5 days a week, 8 hours a day for half of it, increased to 6 days 12 hours as the deadline aproached.
    2 1/2 months Indonesia 6 days a week, 10 hours per day except the last 2 weeks which where 7 days and 14 hours.
    This last 7 months have been more bearable coz I found ausfish and could keep sticking my nose in throughout the day at work, and dream of being back there fishing.

Anyway, that pretty well rooted 18 of the best years of my life.

The point in writing all that was, no pain, no gain. Think my pay cheque for the first years work was about half what most the labourers were getting. But fast learning and fast oppertunities and pretty rapid rise in pay after I had done my time and got the experience.

Interesting journey, pretty well set finacially now, but time to get a life I think.

Mmmm ...... packing shelves to pay a few bills and spending the rest of the time catching fish in a tinnie off the sunny coast sounds pretty good to me.

Good Luck, hope you work out what you would like to do and have a life whilst doing it.

Cheers.
    Jeff

formworker in construction here on sunny coast. As you know there building on everything up here at the moment. Pay is reasonable but hard to take working in mooloolaba watching all the boats going out and your stuck on the building site. Hard work but it pays the bills 8)

Engineer for a pump company. Selling and troubleshooting for larger mining sector.

Good job, car, creditcard, blah blah blah....it`ll do me for a while but would eventually want to kick back on a few acres somewhere close to water.

Randall.

homebound

An absolutely rivetting topic! Well done all you guys!
    Just came across it after returning from Prague saying goodbye to parents before returning to OZ at last!
    Advice? Its all been said already.
    Career? Always in design graphics - last as self employed freelance graphic designer.
    Localities? Sydney - London - Bermuda - Paris - London - Prague - Essex.
    Future? Relocating to Currumbin with wife (nurse) and son (7) about 90% retired but unless fishing can keep me fully occupied (and why not?) will probably get involved in my sister's business (Mortgage Brokers) in Palm Beach.
    Read through all the answers and my congratulations to you all for your depth of perception and honesty. Only in OZ.
    Regards to all
    Rob

Localities? Sydney - London - Bermuda - Paris - London - Prague - Essex. <---- kinda went down hill at the end ??

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by bungie
    Localities? Sydney - London - Bermuda - Paris - London - Prague - Essex. #<---- kinda went down hill at the end ?? # #
    Well it *would* do after meeting those Essex girls ;-)

kev

Great topic! Amazing how fishing brings togeteher so manny different professions!

Myself a professional bean counter! That's right an acountant for one of the large global accounting firms. It kills me to sit at my PC during the week reading on the chat board (while I should be working off course) all of the guys going out and having the water all to themself! That's life!

I too start off in a trade pushing wheel barrows of concrete, then working for a chippy and finally going to uni to get a business degree.

Money is not great (not yet anyway) but it let me buy the boat I wanted. Can't ask for more than that!

Have thought about throwing it all in and working in NQ on trawler etc... Not sure where life will take me, still looking for that dream job. As one of the other guys said when you find you will know!

Teacher - couldn't be happier.