Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: what do you do for a crust?

Re: what do you do for a crust?

Ok Jeffo, I'm in the same boat as you (actually mines better lol). I'm 22, when someone asks me where i want to be in 10yrs time i just give them a blank stare, wouldnt have a clue. So this makes good reading for me too. I'm currently studying at uni which I highly recommend, if you havent got anything better. lots of time for fishing anyway.

Anyway for Nugget if hes reading this, maybe you could take a look at a guitar amp i have here, it is a yamaha going on 30yrs old, which i would like to fix up for sentimental reasons (I can't afford another one) It hasnt skipped a beat until a couple of months ago, on the way home in the ute hit a big bump. Now as soon as you turn it on it has a really loud "crackling" noise, someone suggested it may be a fuse but i cant find one. Want ot avoid sending it to yamaha if possible.

Work for a Brisbane Marine dealer/tackle store at present. Maybe not for much longer.........

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

lmao kris... yeah mate your boat is a hell of a lot better than mine

i am surprised at how well this thread has gone.. givven alot of insight and made me realise how many jobs people go through.... still hope for me yet

Im a cartographer

I compile charts of all the main entrances to harbours and major rivers for the Austrlian and New Zealand Navy

well boys and gals,
    I have been a professional drinker for most of my life ( burp)
    Just as well i own shares in VB, otherwise i couldnt afford to drink all day.
    But seriously, i made my first million by the age of 28,, and lost by the time i was 30. (shit happens)
    But i love me fishin and me mates,, and thats what its all about in the end.
    hav a good one

After the HSC i didn't want to go to uni so i stumbled into an apprenticeship with qantas as an aircraft maintenence engineer. after 4 years i was transferred to melbourne (or have no job).

when i started i really thougth a company like that would look after you. spent 5 years hating what i was doing but due to some shitty EBA's i couldn't move around without losing money that i couldn't afford to lose.

so after 9 years i left and started uni last year to become a high school teacher. it is the best thing i ever did.

i remember the wife and i went on a holiday in the middle of a cold melbourne winter up to Port Douglas. sitting back in the pool in nice weather i dreaded the thought of going back to melbourne. 6 months later i moved back to newcastle which is where i was from.

i didn't like the idea of uni when i left school and it was only 10 years later that i got the urge to learn again.

i will always remember the feeling of hatred as i walked into work each day to spend 8 hours with guys i hated doing the same job that i had done 100's of times before. if i ever get sick of my teaching job to the point that it was like at qantas i will quit without hesitation.

life is too short to do what you hate.

even if you have nothing,earn nothing but are happy you are better off than alot of others.

i was a plumbers assitance doing copper # hard woork #also letter box drops i want to be a deck hand but im to young im only 14

imported_admin

Jeffo, great topic.

Well you asked for it

Left school and started my apprenticeship as an Electrician (Fitter Mechanic), 4 years, in Dalby. Finished my apprenticeship and spent a few years there as a tradesman. While doing my last two years as a tradesman I was also doing discos at local pubs and parties. Got sick of doing the same old thing day in day out so quit my day job and just did discos for a couple of years. Got a bit bored having nothing much to do during the day except stuff around on the Commodore 64 so got a job at Tubemakers in internal sales. Did this for a few years and then transferred to Brisbane.

Couldn’t handle working in the office environment in a larger city office, too much office politics, so got a job as a sales rep for an electrical company calling on Electrical Wholesalers and Electricians.

Did this for a few years and then took up a transfer with the company to Sydney as the NSW State Sales Manager for 3 years. This ended up lasting for 4 ½ years when I decided I needed to get out of Sydney and this job or it would shorten my life and marriage. Transferred back to Brisbane as the National Sales Manager. Did this for just under a year and decided it was time to get out.

Started up Ausfish over 10 years ago and sunk all my savings into it over a couple of years until it started making a couple of dollars to maintain itself. Anyway, the rest as they say is History.

About 4 ½ years ago out of general interest I decided to do a massage course at TAFE. Just thought I would do one of the modules and see if I liked it. Well I loved it so much I did the entire course and after 12 months I received my Certificate 3 in Massage Therapy. 2 years later I did my upgrade to Certificate 4. I am now 10 weeks off finishing my Diploma in Remedial Massage.

I now know what it is that I was meant to do, only took me nearly 40 years to find it out. It is a fantastic field to be in, have met some fantastic people as I have worked as a volunteer therapist at events such as the World Masters, Golden Oldies World Rugby, Lest We Forget Marathon and Cancer Fund Relay for Life just to name a few. I have set up a clinic at home and have been slowly but steadily building up a client list over the past few years. Will be working all next weekend as a volunteer massage therapist at the Cancer Fund Relay for Life on Saturday as well as the Lest We Forget Marathon on Sunday. So if any one is in these events feel free to drop in for a massage. May not have much time to chat, the last few years it has been flat out for 6 hours straight at each event.

The latest research shows that the average Australian changes careers about every 7 years. So it is unlikely that you will be doing what you love doing from the start of your working life. Just get out there and get as much experience and knowledge as you can. If you can’t get out of bed in the morning with a smile on your face and go to work, change jobs.

When you find the right occupation you will know.

i'm an avionics engineer, aviation electronics that is.
    the thing about it is you learn something new just about every day.
    been doing that for 29 years, since i left school in year 10
    in 1975. wouldn't change to anything else except maybe sitting at
    home waiting for fair weather and the next fish'in trip.

Hey guys,
    Pinhead sorry to hear about your parents mate. My grandparents fell to cancer. I hope things go good for your parents. These days it can be dealt with....
    I too was lost once Jeffo.
    Life Story:
    Came from Yugoslavia as a refugee 12 years ago.. Did year 10,11 and 12. The whole time I had a part time job at you gest it MCadee's. They wanted me to stay on as a manager but I just didn't like the place. So, I went to Coles for a management position in which they paid for my college fees. After I got my diploma I worked of what I had to and gave it up. Like they say in show business "never work with animals or kids" . So, after all that I was out there not knowing what I really wanted to do.
    I got my self an apprentenship as a refrigeration mechanic. I have been with the same company for the last 8 years. And have done everything from mechanical eng. to controls. I am currently running the controls division of the company and loving it. I never considered a trade before but I am glad I did know because it gave me much more insight into life then anything else.
    By the way I don't know about up there but down here in Sydney there is a big shortage on A/C mechanics and we are seeing some top dollar handed out to Fridgees.

Bojan

Bojan,

Huge shortage of fridgies up here also but you use ya brain..train your own. My son is now a fridgie and just started my son in law as an adult apprentice. I had over 10 years off the tools but got back on them..more money there and loving every minute of it.

The will never be a shortage of work in the air conditioning game..so if any of you Brisbane guys need any work ..just holler...Steve will probably delete this for me trying to rustle up some extra business on here without paying.

Wow what a thread! What a diverse lot we fishos are!

For my part, economics degree at Sydney Uni, met a Brisbane girl on a boat cruise, fell in love with them all. The girl ,the boat and Brisbane.......nearly 30 years ago now. Worked in a few accounting firms then started my own (one man) accounting/tax practice. Being you own boss is great, but no question where the buck stops. Now looking at semi-retirement which equals more time to be on the water. Have always gone for lifestyle ahead of the cash.

Looking back, probably wouldn't change too many things, which is a good sign, although wish I could have read all these posts 30 years ago.

I believe that you regret the things you didn't do, rather than those you did but shouldn't have.

Final thought.....read the book "The Richest Man in Babylon". Its only short and in plain English. If you follow its principles you will manage money rather than it managing you. Translates to more time on the water. I admit to having trouble in that area from time to time.

Argo

Oh and one more thing........

I also run a finance brokerage business along side the accounting practice and happy to help fellow Qld Ausfish members with housing loans etc. If you want a second opinion or just curious about something send me a pm.

Argo

Brett_Finger

WOW!!!
    it just blows me out how our love for fishing ties us all toughter,"ya gotta be happy with that"

now with all these smart ausfish members around you think someone would read allllllll these posts and put up another #post with all the Job descriptions on it...... #

Hookin,Brett ( wayyyyy to slow to work out job description list. hehehehe)

Brett_Hoskin

I manage an equipment rental company supplying the Bowen Basin mining fraternity and supporting businesses.

I was on holiday and stumbled over an advert in the Newspaper whilst in Cairns. Sent in a resume', went to Townsville for an interview and 5 weeks later started the job in Mackay.

Getting a job.........what a way to ruin a Holiday.