Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: what do you do for a crust?

Re: what do you do for a crust?

Hey Tony,

Let me know when you wanna sell mate...
    I could handle ummmm not making a fortune lol...
    IMHO you have my dream career...

Maybe I could open Agnes Richies Boat sales and refer ever sale to you for their tackle.

Cheers,
    # # # # # Rich.

Sounds like a winner Rich!
    No one selling boats here yet, could make a good team.

Regards, Tony

Locomotive driver coal trains, as boring as waiting for the wind to drop but good money, hard to get into and shift work a bit of a pain but i dont get my hands dirty and the conditions are pretty good.

well since i left school and joined the army as a grunt for 5 years i have since been a frount end loader driver in sydney (shite job but brought in over $1000 clear a week) moved to port macquarie and worked in a few pubs and now i have my own busness as a courier driver delivering parcles up and down the coast. Dosen't bring in much but when i start at 8am and finished by 6pm and have every weekend off well hey it pays the bills and lets me get in a FAIR bit of fishing

Computer Programmer...
    Being raised on a farm and used to the scrub and outdoor activities , it is hard to take sometimes,.. BUT .... it does pay well, so I get a nice boat and ute to tow it around with and I be happy on the weekends.
    Life is a trade off between doing what you have to do and what you would like to do. The people I do not understand are the ones who keep working when they are rich and don't have too, and don't seem happy either.

Hi Jeffo
    My brother and I have an import export business with warehousing in the UK and US
    Run every thing from here on the Gold Coast 2 of our websites www.tohealth.com.au & www.extractglobal.com if you get a chance take a look.
    With the internet and email now the world is getting smaller every day your only 20 years old don’t get caught in a rut get out there and do it .
    I have had it all and lost it (3 times) but you always get back on your feet.
    Have a go and good luck
    Steve -------

whitesfire is a Fire Extinguisher sales and service in Cairns; I own and run the Co and have a good time doing this, photo wife with a golden

NeilD

I lease and/or manage public swimming pools. I currently lease one from the BCC on the southside of Brisbane and manage another for Pine Rivers Shire Council. The job looks really great hanging around swimming pools all day but the reality is somewhat different and involves long hours, massive amounts of paperwork and an assortment of customers from hell.

Cheers Neil

guys-i cannot thank you enough for all your replies some of which are VERY motivational (bugman and kingtin especially)... tony i know what your saying about the building industry and sore backs (my knees and back already complain each morning i wake up).
    rich- i am keen to know everything about the adult aprenticeships you mentioned as the VERY LOW wages involved with aprenticeships are one of the main things holding me back at this stage! it seams wrong that if i was to start an aprenticeship now in say tiling i would be getting the same money as someone fresh out of school, as with 2 years on the tools already under my belt i think with enough time i could tile a bathroom tomorrow!

my dream job at this stage of my life wouldd have to be a DPI fisheries and boating patrol officer but i have been told that the amount of people studying for such positions greatly outway the number of available jobs.

Looks like every man and his dog started out with a trade. Me included. I did a fitter and turner apprenticeship and worked in the trade for about 8 or 9 years, but then some how I ended up in IT. Currently manage a system support team for a consulting company.

Funny really as I only got to year 10, but generally hire people to work for me that have uni degrees.

Seems that a lot of people that start out blue collar end up white collar, and a lot that start white collar end up blue.

Captian_Zero

Jeffo

Coming up for 13 years in the finance industry

Currently a credit analyst - making recommendations whether to lend businesses money (or not) after an intensive examination of their balance sheet and profit & loss.

If you are good with numbers, more than a bit anally retentive, and can handle everyone else in the organisation disliking you, then it's the job for you. It also helps if you can spell NO.

Cheers

Chris

P.S. Seriously, a bit of lateral thinking helps. Finding a way to do a deal for millions of dollars can be exciting. Watching a deal you recommended go pear shaped also gets the adrenlin running but not a good feeling.

Started as an apprentice fitter, worked as fitter/mechanic for 15 years and now Loco driver on the Downs. Like Poss said, good job if you cant sleep, don't care what day it is(can't remember most times) but hands clean and pay is OK

Kev

Graduated from school three years ago and immediately went into a Bachelor of Business Management degree at Griffith University, Logan campus. Got the shits with continuing study straight after 12 years of it, so I deferred my studies to work some jobs.

Worked a number of small time jobs such as a brush hand for a house painter, chinese restaurant waiter, pizza hut delivery driver (Dougie... ) etc. While I was doing this type of work, spent a lot of time considering what I really wanted to do. Ended up submitting an application for the Australian Army to which I was accepted and enlisted in October of 2002. Spent a short period of time in the Army as an infantry soldier (grunt) before dislocating my knee in a training exercise. Due to the severity of the injury, the army discharged me as not fit for service.

Since then, I worked a variety of more shit jobs and contemplated whether I really wanted to stay in uni or not. Finally I came to the conclusion that even if I didn't want to do top level management one day, I could at least use my degree as credit to gain acceptance into other courses that I want to study.

As yet I still don't know exactly where I want to go with my studies. At present, I'm studying the degree and spend any money I have at Dooley's Meadowbrook between lectures.

So, you're not alone mate. I've drawn probably as much inspiration from other blokes' replies as you have. What I can agree with though, is get into something you want to do....not something that's going to pay you shitloads.

My ten cents worth.

Ben

let me tell you ben and jeff it is nice to have a job where you bring in the BIG bucks but only after a few years of 7 day a week 6 of them being 10+days it was nice to have the $1000 clear a week but i had NO life what so ever no fishing no family no mates so after that being my own boss delivering little parcles to people and the occasional nice looking female in her bra and nickers is alot better and now i have HEAP more time for fishing
    some time the best jobs are the ones where you get less money butmore qulity time

34years and still not sure what i do.
    but i know i go fishing not sure the boss likes it but he hasnt said any thing to me
    only "wheres my fish"
    "whats the time"