Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Average wage

Re: Average wage

Don't you hate it when you struggle from week to week to earn an income and penny pinch just so you can put some away then you get real happy when you get a pay rise (catch up/safety net) only to get kicked in the guts when the cpi ends up greater than your pay rise. Then there's an election and less than a fortnight after the dust has settled the pollies vote to get themselves somewhere near 10% pay rise when you have to fight tooth and nail for a 4% one and be lucky to get 2% "phased in over three years."
    No wonder nobody is ever happy with their income. Invest in lifestyle choices and be around to see the joy in your family. If you can't keep up with the Joneses move to a place with a lower cost of living. You'll give up a few luxuries but you'll gain plenty that you didn't pay an arm and a leg for too. I'll never be able to afford to buy the same quality of property etc in Sydney or Melbourne because what I've got here will cost me 5-6 times its value if it were there.
    You can always earn more money but its what you give up for it... that's the real currency.
    Any fishing is good fishing (should probably say Any fishing is...probably going to be illegal soon)

another way to look at it is
    What value would you put on an hour of your life
    cause thats what you are selling
    cheers
    blaze

Starting to wonder if this is a fishing site.
    First we had "What do you do for a Crust" and yes i replied.
    Now we have Who has the most Money.
    Next we'll have What nights of the week you dont have sex. Thats ones easy for me to answer, only on Full Moons
    As for Money, yes most or all would like or dream of owning a house on the water, with the Yacht parked on your private jetty.
    My motto is, You cannot take it with you, so why hold onto it, if your happy and contented, paying your bills, and still have some left over for pleasure, what more do you want.
    If your going to go through life, trying to keep up with the Jones, your life will be over before you no it, As they shoved the dirt on top.
    Christ there are thousand out there, that dont even have a computer and there quite happy the way they are.
    Anyway thats my 2 bobs worth.
    regards

oops hit the b utton twice

I earned $53k last year and my wife brought in $38K then the tax man wanted his cut.
    but from my 53 i don't get sick pay or holiday pay and if it rains i don't work. take the good with the bad.( thank goodness this is the sunshine state )
    then it realy gets ughly

Thanks for the all the replies,

I realise this can get to the level of personalisation and I'm not trying to pry more get a sense of persepective - so thanks again for the replies.

Now having said all that I've made a value judgement on my lifestyle and one I'm quite serious about.

I've decided I need a decent boat again and this time I plan to buy a boat that I can have for quite a long time and one that I can use for more than just fishing (short island holidays or family day trips etc).

Since I'm now looking in the $40 to $60,000 mark - how do I convince Leanne that my motives aren't selfish and that by decreasing our investment base I'm not robbing us or our (possible) kids of a better future.

I get it - she doesn't.

Maybe time for a new thread.

Bugman

Brett,

Try the same line that my brother used last week to (sucessfully) secure funding for a boat - "But Honey, we will get to spend so much more time together if I buy a boat" #

Cheers,

Simon

I thought the Q? was What do u consider is an ACCEPTABLE annual wage? Not how much do i actually get. so a house payment + living expenses + a new boat every year $100,000 thanks.

a guy i worked with last year had worked hard all his life and was an honest, clean living kind of guy. at the age of 50 he was diagnosed with cancer and died less than 6 months later.

during a chat in the lunch room one of the staff discussed buying a big expensive cruiser (100K) and asked everyones opinion.

one guy said it was stupid and she should invest it.

another guy said "ask our former collegue what you should do".

the moral was you can live clean and work hard but the aweful truth about life is death. and if you can predict death you could be very wealthy.

"Money is the Root of Evil" I think i saw this saying hanging on the wall of someones house, when i was ten.

I guess the more we make the more we spend, and in the end we cant take any thing with us...

Hi Guys,
    I agree, you cant take it with you, so use it while u have it!
    My wishful income would be around 100K combined, but is not getting close yet. I cant see the light! Lol
    My partner and i have a combined income of around 70K with no dependents.
    We choose not to have them yet because on this wage we wont give them a good life.
    The wage is not big, but like mentioned, you make do with what you have.
    We live on the Goldie, have a boat and cars. None of them are new, but the most improtant boat is as new as i can afford (95).
    We make do with what we have, and i have to say pretty happily too. We dont worry about money to much, just live.
    If i earnt more, im sure i wouldnt be any happier, just have a newer boat and bigger 4x4 to tow it!
    In the end, it doesnt really matter, as long as your happy.
    Regards
    Darren

Sportfish_5

Darren - Youre spot on there. All the money in the world will not buy true happiness. My work takes me to places like Fiji and PNG (unfortunately not to the known tourist destinations - PNG tourism ?? maybe not just yet) and the majority of people are the most generous and happy people you could meet. At the mine I go to in Fiji the local workers would get around $5FJD an hour and live in tin sheds with no running water or electricity.

Seeing the way others live makes me very grateful when I come back home to Australia for all the things I previously enjoyed without a second thought.

Cheers,

Greg

i to voted as 100k to be my ideal acceptable wage,,but when i actually think about it,,,im(wife and i)are 12 months off owning our home,,which we are just in the process of doing renovations to that will double the size of it,,own our car,,i have my toys (4x4's.bikes,,boats etc),,,2 kids,,and all on less than 50k a year combined and both under 30 years old..so really,,,,im livin life pretty darn well,,may not be as flash as the jones's up the road,,but god damn the quality is good ...
    paz

HI BUGMAN,
    Good thread,I was a bricklayer in brisbane,going all over the place doing work and earning good money. my wife was working at the sushine coast as an accontant earning good money.Problem was i was travelling so much and my wife was working so much we never saw the kids, (kids always in day care)
    So my wife brought an accountancy practice here on the coast and i now stay at home as a house husband, have been for five years.We earn more now because my wife and i arn't going two different ways all the time. Plus there's less expanditure with me staying at home and tax benifit's.In the end we're saving money. Best thing is the kids go to school and i go fishing three times week.I think life is what you make it so you can work it for your benifit in earnings.
    Regards Steve #