Thread: WHO WANTS TO LEARN STUFF?

Mudcrab

WHO WANTS TO LEARN STUFF?

You have a choice from some of the following courses that we now run at Vicky Point.
    1. MROVP (radio) 2 nights plus the final examination
    2. GPS (1 night)
    3. Navigation (basic plotting stuff) (1 night & good fun)
    4. Video Sounder (cupple minutes)
    5. Radar (1 night)
    6. Plotters (very heavy stuff - not for faint hearted)
    7. Life jackets, flares & life rafts (1 big night)
    8. Weather & Tides (2 seriously heavy nights)

2 to 7 are a donation of $20 each or if yer too miserable, get it free anyway, the Radio Course is free 'cept for $65 for manual & exam Govt costs (our contribution for safety)

Just kicking the ideas around and see what interest is out there. These courses are all to National Standards and the best around.

Ian Fischer VMR Victoria Point

searaider

Re: WHO WANTS TO LEARN STUFF?

Hi Guys ,
    It doesn't look like your courses list came thriugh on your post ?

Peter
    Searaider 2

Ian,

Am interested in the MROVP but I live in the north west (Ferny Hills) so is a country mile to get there. Is it a course that I could read up on and finish it in the second night? Would be to difficult to do all the course after work but would like to legally use my radio.

Mudcrab

The course can be done directly from the MROVP manual itself if you like wading through all the technical stuff. We also have a CD using Powerpoint that can be loaned out (for a few bucks) and that is basically what we instruct from. Not an easy course but very "doable" all the same. We like to chuck in some practical information as well that seems to help.

i would do 1 and 2 and of course 6 you can never know too much about your saftey gear but in the nav is that plotting from maps or from a chart plottor???
    i would love to learn non electronic nav

G'Day Ian,

Would love to do 8, weather and tides, and I live locally (so I could be up for a couple of serious nights) let me know if u go ahead with them.

Cheers,
    Tony 8)
    Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem Bright ...... untill they speak

searaider

I'd be interested in a number of the courses .
    Including :- 3,5,6 & 8 .
    I know it may be difficult , but I'd like a bit more Info on what the courses cover .
    Similar to basserman I would like to know what is using electronic equipment IE:- GPS Plotters or Paper Charts .

Regards
    Peter
    Searaider

Well the plotters course would be nice, # just wondering will there be any fishing while training...

All the course would help me out, I would be happy to donate and learn as well.

Please get in touch with me, thanks in advance!

Hi Ian,

I've actually joined this site just to respond and express my interest with regards to your post (both of them actually)
    I hope this makes you feel better about whether your efforts are worthwhile and appreciated. As a newbie and fairly inexperienced boatie I was about to embark on sourcing info on most of the topics you mentioned, so your posting was right on cue. I'd certainly be interested in attending several of the courses, should they be offered by Vicky Point or elsewhere. Of special interest are 1,2 6,7 & 8 [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
    Oh, and just one more question Ian - do you need a license for a VHF radio? I was told that I'm able to attend a 5-week course at any VMR. Is this correct?
    Many thanks in advance,
    Herby

HI Ian

As a new boatie, I would like to learn more new stuff in addition to the boat licence course. I am interested in
    no 2 - GPS
    no 3- navigation
    no 8 - weather & tides

I can be contacted on 54992699 or email mtctraining@bigpond.com
    Thanks
    Martin Craney

Hi Vicky Point
    There are two of us here who would like to do the radio course.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Martin_C
    I am interested in
    no 2 - GPS
    no 3- navigation
    no 8 - weather & tides
    I am interested in the above too

will any of these courses give any qualifications?
    cheers mick