Thread: sea sickness

sea sickness

hey guys
    i love my offshore fishing and head out on a charter every 6 weeks. but the main problem is i get sea sick. i am just wondering if anyone has got any hints that could help me with this issue
    thanks heaps
    philip
    Bring on the Marlin!!!

Re: sea sickness

travelcalm tabs seem to work.
    watching the horizon is better than looking down.

DaneCross

Its all in the mind If mind games don't work try Kwells

deb

Take a couple of green apples with you. After the first 'burst' they will settle you down quick smart

yeah i just seem to be damn unlucky one time i took 2 kwells before i went out and i got sea sick and badly sun burnt. the skipper on the charter reckons i should take up golf. that is even more expensive.
    i think practice might help i was out in my boat in the pumistone passage yesterday it was very choppy and i was fine in my small boat.
    thanks
    philip
    Bring on the Marlin!!!

yeah ive never heard about apples before thanks ill try that next time ill let you know how it goes. i love my reef fishing and sea sickness is the the that prevents me from enjoying it
    thanks
    philip
    Bring on the Marlin!!!

Take your sea sickness pill starting the day before if going early in the morning. Top up with 1/2 to one moe when boarding, then 1/2 to one four hourly. CHECK OUT THE MANUFACTURERS MAXIMUM DOSE FIRST THOUGH.
    When heading out or back in (in motion), try and stay at the stern of the boat in the centre. The outboard(s) will screw the stern into a more stable possition and less movement at the rear. I have heard that wearing a hat pulled down a little to obscure your EXTENDED vision, i.e coastline moving up and down in the distance can make you crook. KEEP YOURSELF BUSY IF YOU CAN. If you plan to be sick, you probably will be.
    I personally have a good greasy feed of Bacon, Eggs and fried tomatoes, and enjoy the free ride on any swells. (Cheaper than the roller coaster at Dreamworld).
    If you are going to be leaning over the side having a good "Barf", you might want to through on a life jacket like this handsome critter, (Hi Ian P), in case you loose your footing or end up getting so dehydrated you faint and go over the side.
    Enjoy your trip,

imported_admin

Main thing is to make sure you get a good nights sleep and little or no achohol the night before. Keep away from milk and fizzy drinks during the day as well as this seems to effect some people.

Ginger is good as well, I think it is the main ingredient in the Travelwell tablets for motion sickness. Chinese sailors use to chew ginger to prevent sea sickness, luckily we can get it in tablet form now

I take a Kwell tablet before I go to bed another 2 about an hour before I get on the boat. Take ginger beer and drink it regularly, and have another Kwell as soon as you feel a little dodgey, stay off the piss and away from any motor fumes, and keep busy, look at the horizon more than down at the water..