Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish ID

Fishnchippy

Fish ID

Hi all,
    Help needed to identify this fish. Caught at Mud Is on Saturday.
    I have checked all the reference books I have and cannot come up with a name for it. hope someone can help.
    It was about 250mm long. It was returned safe and well after a few pics.

Thanks in advance Reevesy.

Re: Fish ID

Mate that looks similar to something from Priacanthidae family of species. Could be wrong, but just looks similar.

Ben

yep,i think your right Maria.i found a couple of them and one with a bit more red in it but looked to be pretty much the same fish.(blotched big eye or heteropriacanthus croentatus)

Bullseyes
    regards

what about this little rascal

Can't help you out on that one boss. Where'd you get him? Might help people identify it. Side on photos are better too when the fish is lying on something.

Ben

Was going to say a triple tail, but their tail is not spilt. ???, or it could be a Monarch ???.
    regards

fishinchippy's looks a lot like a red bullseye, although from memory I thought they had a small blunt spike coming from the gill cover

and a triple tail is the only thing I have ever seen that looks like aido's, but as webby says they don't have a split tail.

If it where in fresh water id say Talapia (pest).don't know if they live in salt.they where in hamilton island lagoon but don't know if that was fresh or salt.
    then it realy gets ughly

just found pic of bullseye in 1 of my books and i dont think thats a bullseye, the dorsal and anal fins are too shorrt, maybe related
    then it realy gets ughly

My best guess is a Priacanthus #macracanthus - red bullseye.

Dave ><>

Hi guys
    Agree fish 1 is a red bullseye, Cloud 9 might be looking at the southern bullseyes which are quite different in shape and fins.
    Fish 2 is some kind of damselfish , family pomacentridae, possibly a dusky damselfish. Same family as white-ears from NSW or scalyfins from southern states.
    Not often caught on line but very common.
    Cheers

Fishnchippy

Thanks to all who responded, much appreciated. I think the pic Dave posted is right on the money. Now we'll know what to call it, if we ever catch one again. By the way it was caught on a small white squidgy, dropped over the back of the boat.

Cheers Reevesy.

Mudcrab

Could it be a squirrel fish?

Mudcrab

This is a squirrelfish? Do they look the same?
    Dumb question - nothing like it!
    Oh well, now we all know what a squirrel fish is anyway!