Thread: Moon Phases

Moon Phases

Hi all
    Would someone please explain to me the best times to fish according to moon phases. Its something I am trying to learn about.
    I am also new here so am happy to "hear" from any other 'reel women' [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] 8)

Re: Moon Phases

Hello Wheels9,

I found this:

http://www.fishinfo.com/moon.htm

It pretty much says three to four days prior or after a full moon.

Also these:http://www.floridasaltwater.com/how_to/Moon_Phases.htm

http://www.solunar.com/Bucher.htm

Hope these help you.

GLGF!

E.C.

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

Any #perticular #target...........
    # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #Or #region.........
    # #BIG #QUESTION # .... # BABE
    # # #
    # # # #MACKA....

el_carpo............ out standing....

Gorilla_in_Manila

El_carpo,
    Good read thanks.

Wheels9,
    If you are interested in the detailed solunar times and peaks, have a look at Nuggets website, there is a little pop up that gives you the times and peaks based on Brisbane.
    I actually recorded and followed these for 2 months and have found out that the times given are when the moon is directly over your head, or directly under your feet (for Brisbane). It so happens that this always falls a couple of hours after high tide (again for brisbane). Therefore if you believed that this was the only time to go fishing, you would always be fishing a run out tide and starting around an hour or so after full.
    If you keep track of the peaks for a couple of lunar phases, you will see a re-occuring pattern that tells you that NM and 3 or 4 days after, and a couple of days before and after FM is supposed to be the best times. (groups of 75 or 100% peaks) there is a couple of other 100% days through the month, but these are the main ones. You will find that at these time each lunar phase, is when the sun and the moon are in alignment. These produce the biggest changes in tide every month as well.

Now having said all that, no one seems to have any data to actually back up the claim that you actually catch more fish at these times or if they have, they aren't sharing it. As one of the the articles el_carpo provided says, it says the writer found that it was moon rise and moon set that produced the best fishing. Local weather effects seem to play as important or more important role as well.

If you are thinking of fishing non tidal waters, then you could just get the moon rise and set times and see what works, and see if those times of the lunar cycle are any better than others.

Only real way to check it out is keep a fish log and see if you can find a pattern. Unless you are lucky enough to find someone that would let you look at theirs, it will take a few years to cover all sorts of seasons, species and locations.

I still reckon the best way to catch more fish will be to have your line in the water more often.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
    Jeff