Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sun Protection... How do you deal with it?

Re: Sun Protection... How do you deal with it?

Interesting that last night I went out for fish, left just before dark, and still ended up a bit red.

Must also be a mixture of wind burn in there.

Having a dark complexion I'm a little lucky I guess. I try to keep covered as much as possible but dont always succeed. Spending alot of my life outdoors tho has done some damage, I'd had one cancer removed in my early 20s. Had a check-up not long ago & asked the doc about the face getting burned even when I wear a hat & sunscreen. He recons alot of the problem is actually wind burn at times. ???
    Dont know but it cant be the best either, can it?

Cheers,

fitz
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Get your balaclavas out boys.

Lol....balaclava's the way eh. Especially around this time of year, can get away with wearing it out on the water all day. I wouldn't really reccomend trying it while you're landbased, as you might draw a few looks and maybe provoke a few phone calls....especially if there's kids around or something lol.

All jokes aside, skin cancer aint good shit and I certainly don't want it later in life. Fortunately Mum's a registered nurse and has been for 30 years. So, the past 20 years I've had sun smart stuff drilled into me left right and centre. I must admit, I get a bit lazy with the cream and long sleeved shit when I'm out there. Generally always wear long pants and boots, so lower half aint a problem. Unfortunately though, I tend to prefer the singlet on the top half and forget, as I said, to reapply the cream.

Ben

Grow a beard too! it is great sun and wind protection.
    a-wrap-a-hat and long clothing. Apply sunscreen well before you head out and give it a chance to soak into your skin.

To those who saw they don't burn don't let that fool you either skin damage is still occurring Bob Marley died of a melanoma on his foot, you don't get a second chance.

Slip slop slap and drink plenty of water (Not purified with alcohol)

I wear an Adaptacap which is a brand of cap with a big French Foreign legion sort of "curtain" which hangs down around back of neck and side of face. Can be adapted to various shapes.

Cost me $32 a few months ago but bought a second for my son at the recent Tackle & Tinnie show for $25.

Works really well for my bald old head. Is an open weave fabric so it lets the air pass very easily but is also rated at 50+ protection and the brim is quite big. A repat Hospital nurse once told me of old diggers who lose an ear on one side due to cancer from the upturned diggers' hats so I have always been a bit conscious of ear protection under a cap.

I also use 30+ sunscreen on the face.

Also I wear old long white business shirts (new $14 at Lowes) and fishing gloves.

I never have any sunburn problems except when I am a bit slow putting on the sunscreen. Really needs to be applied before leaving the boat harbour.

All of the above stuff is really comfortable even it may sound like it is not. Have always found hats to be a nuisance because they blow off.

Sportfish_5

Long sleeve shirts, adapta-cap, good quality sunnies and shoes # or just dont forget to put the 30+ on the tops of your feet if not wearing any #

Learnt that painful lesson #