Thread: Unknown fish Species

Unknown fish Species

A few days back I posted a picture of a fish I was having trouble identifying. Thanks to Jeff (aka Gorilla_in_Manilla) who pointed me to the Australian Museum site where there was a picture of the fish and it was described as rare.

I followed up with an email to the Australian Museum and sent them a picture of the fish. I got immediate responses from both the Australian Museum and the New Zealand Museum. It turns out that very little is known about this fish species and very few specimens exist at the moment to assist with research. Part of the response from a person carrying out research on this sepecies is below:

"Your fish is certainly a Caprodon, and probably belongs to the species Caprodon krasyukovae, but we cannot at present be certain because the identity of Caprodon species is a muddle with a couple of widely used old names, a few new species described based on only one or two specimens, plus a couple of undescribed species new to science. So, the whole group is in confusion. Off southern Queensland it appears that there are either two or three species present, but we are uncertain about their scientific names and do not know how to distinguish them. A similar situation exists off New Zealand, as well as Hawaii, Japan and Chile.I am hoping to throw some light on the problem by carrying out a research project that will try to address these issues."

If you happen to come across one of these fish and are willing to help out with research on the species, PM and I will give you the details of who to contact. The museum will pay freight costs for any fish (preferably frozen in a plastic bag to preserve the fish) and are offering a copy of a book on fishes as an incentive to assist. The down side is they are great eating

The picture of the fish I caught is below. They are looking for any fish in this species.

Mark

Re: Unknown fish Species

Hey good one Mark, they musta been a bit pissed when they found out you ate it but it was only research mate. I reckon you should ask them if you can nominate the common name eh?? Maybe orangemark or something like that ???

Fire tail

rhysp3ct

geez its one bloody nice fish, id put that pic on the fridge door for sure!

So something wierd like that would have no bag or size limits?
    Because they are so rare, kind of a catch 22 situation.
    Is that it's swim bladder its choking on? How deep did you drag it up from.?

seeing its surrounded by pearl perch, id would of come from fairly deepish water

Tim

Well.I'll be a monkey's uncle ! Caught one of those myself 4? 5? weeks ago at DT. Have to have a rummage thru freezer now,as maybe the little b*gger was is still there on account as it not a meal full like my preferred pelagics

Seahunt & Tim, Caught this one on a ledge that drops from 85m down to 100m. The experts tell me that they are more likely to be found in depths of 150m to 300m, so if you want to target them in numbers take some house bricks for lead.

Pewee, If you still have it and want to donate it to science [smiley=scholar.gif], PM me and I will pass on the contact details.

Mark

Damn, gave it to the mother in-law. >..If only I had know there was a better use for it. .....Reckon I could donate her to science instead? .. Sorry,she ain't so well preserved though.
    Any suggestions as to how I may pack her in ice, and send her frozen in a plastic bag? ??? ???

Liquid nitrogen is the way to go!!