Thread: Sharks Jaws

Sharks Jaws

Gday everyone,

Well, as some of you know, we got a big whaler the other day, and I've now got the moster's head in the deep freeze.

The reason it's in the deep freeze, is because I want to get the jaws outof him and mount them for the wall. My problem is this - I've never done that kind of thing and I have no idea where to start.

Anyone offer any information on how to go about getting the jaws out, preserving them, getting them nice and white and not going yellow etc?

Thanks

Ben

rhysp3ct

Re: Sharks Jaws

alright... im not 100% certain at this but my brother keeps heaps of jaws and this is what he does...
    first off, cut as much meat off as possible from the jaws, keeping the tendons intact cus they go hard and brittle and keep everything together.
    then what he does, is leave it outside for the ants to get a hold of all the meat off it... (watch out for cats, theyll take it)
    after that... bleach
    thats what weve/hes done and theyve always come out alright... be interesting to see what everyone else says.
    cheers
    rhys

Ausfish Addict

Yeah thanks JB...checked those pages out today. Just a little sceptical about doing it yet without any more info.

Thanks though mate.

Ben

rhysp3ct

lol those guys in the article are doing tedious jobs of cutting the meat away from the jawline... lol...as i said, leave it to the ants
    maybe there is one thing that fire ants could be useful for in australia after all eh!

Yeah it's tedious as a bitch, but they reckon because the jaw has so much cartalidge in it, if you boild it, it all gives way and the jaw turns out shithouse.

Ben

Ausfish Addict

ben the idea is to par boil not boil till the meat comes away, you will still need an ants nest, and the further away the better, oh btw, if you don't have an old fashioned copper in the back yard, don't boil it in the house, it will be months before you stop vomitting from the smell.
    cheers
    Joe.

Let the ants have a go first then try soaking in pool chlorine. BE CAREFUL OF THE FUMES DO THIS OUTSIDE!!

Then to stop them from going yellow put them into hot/warm liquid paraffin wax. Melt the wax, dip the jaws in and allow to cool, then strip off the excess.

I have not done this with shark jaws but heaps of pig jaws

Some interesting ideas there.

Thanks guys.

Ben