Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RECREATIONAL FISHING LICENCE FOR QUEENSLAND

Re: RECREATIONAL FISHING LICENCE FOR QUEENSLAND

Harry if party membership voted that they really did want a RFL then yes, we would support it, but only after laying all the facts on the table.

Personally, and I don't think this has yet been discussed at a policy level, I think the SIP is great. These are artifically created waterways, recreational only fisheries and if ""we" want healthy fish stocks in them then we should be prepared to pay for them. The guys who put in all the hard work making them a reality should be applauded. I have both a SIP and always chuck my loose change in the donations tin which sits on the counter at the local tackle shop.

A RFL for salt water however is a very different matter.

This is a natural resource, already owned by the public has no exclusitivity and anyone who trusts the government to use funds purely for the enhancement of the fishery, is, lets say...a bit more trusting than many of us.

The outcomes of the RFL's down south have not been accepted and numbers of RFL's are dropping. No on knows if this is because compiance is falling or people are just sick of it all and are leaving the sport.
    So....what will the Government do....put up the fines and put on even more inspectors (paid for by the RFL funds) to make sure people are complying...so more people say F$#@^this....I go fishing to get away from this crap and now I get hassled every bloody time I go fishing so I give up too!!
    I don't know about you guys but I fish for the peace, quiet and relaxation just as much as the hope of catching a few.

You can't trust the Government to use the money properly or honestly, they aready tax the living hell out of us (2nd highest taxed country in the Western world) and all this is about is increasing the funding for fisheries "management" and "enforcement" while getting us mugs to pay for it.

I recon that the government really hates beach/rock fishermen, sailors and push bike riders because other than the GST we are about the only buggers in the country that can actually enjoy ourselves without the Government getting into our wallets.

REgards

KC

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee
    I went yes, as most of the guys i fish with in NSW are all for it, granted it leaves a little to be desired, however, in the appropriate hands of people that are held responsible, ie, not sunfish or the government then i can see good things coming from it, especailly lincenced recs having a say on an RIS instead of being snowballed. I know we already (power boat owners pay a ppv) this would have to be dropped, before i was in favour. however, feedback from my sources, say it is going to happen anyway, ( qld rec licence) so the next best thing is who do we get to control it, the fishing party, I THINK NOT. oh by the way Fitzy i cant see how all the lakes would collapse if this money was held by a responsible party, and from my understanding as it stands now, most of the work is voluntary as with the funds, am i right here or is someone pulling the wool over my eyes? because this is what i read in magazines, my two bobs worth.
    cheers
    Joe.
    Joe I'm saying that without the Stocked Impoundment Permit, there would be many lakes that wont get stocked. It is the major source of funds for stocking most lakes. If it (the SIP) is removed then all of the fingerlings released each year will also be removed. Stocking groups are run by volunteers, but I'll be buggered if I'll give any more time to doing chook raffles as we did for over a decade in the past. Many of us would just throw in the towel & everyone is the looser because there would be no fish.
    The SIP is guaranteed to only going back into participating locations. Not sending pollies on junkets to Hong Kong or to keep jobs for the boys. Its a pure & simple user pays system, unlike saltwater environments where fish naturally reproduce. Funny how some users just dont want to pay thier way....

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Ausfish Addict

Fitzy, i hear they have been trialling, releasing fingerlings into botany bay, (Jew, Snapper) with some success. Isnt there stocked impoundments in NSW, is it working down there or do you need a separate license to fish fresh. ?
    cheers
    Joe

i totally agree with the freshwater licences as i fish maybe 12 times a year in freshwater and i can catch and release 50+ fish easily i think it cost bugger all seeing that they cant breed in the dams if we want to fish them we need to restock it. but for saltwater i beleive there could be a better way other than charging us.
    i dont now what it would be but i am sure there is another way.

jeff

NQCairns

I actually read Gazza's reply regarding the SIP as a [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]?nq

hmmm, correct me if i'm wrong, i could very well be. I started this post because someone had told me that revenue from NSW RFL had gone to buy out the quotas/rights/licences of the commercial mackeral ring-netters in NSW, which explains why the school/spotty mack fishing has dramatically improved up here this year, it is just something i've heard and not actually researched, so please if anyone knows anything to the contrary.

Mind you, if the rec fishers take advantage of this, as I have also heard many stories about, and go out every day and get their bag as the fishing is so good, and fill their freezer full of very average eating fish, then they are no better than the ocean rapist ring netters then are they???

Am i well informed or just another player in a game of chinese whispers?

NQCairns

Raef wrote:Mind you, if the rec fishers take advantage of this, as I have also heard many stories about, and go out every day and get their bag as the fishing is so good, and fill their freezer full of very average eating fish, then they are no better than the ocean rapist ring netters then are they

IMHO what better way to justify the continuation of that practice in the minds of the average rec angler than to force payment for what was/is a free pastime/resource. NQ

So hasn't mackeral ring-netting already been handled in Qld, even without a RFL ???

Somebody like like to confirm or clarify.

Cheers, Kerry.

Yes commercial ring netting & gill netting has been banned (for spotted grey and school mackrel) in Qld. I understand they can (& do) still gill net spanish in the gulf.
    Spanish are under review with a reduced TAC as well as big rec bag limit reductions

KC

Quote Originally Posted by NQCairns
    I actually read Gazza's reply regarding the SIP as a #[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]?nq
    Your right NQ , edited out the TIC stuff # i.e. re-read #[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

p.s. you 13 ~ ? people ,for the time being send it to SIP ,as well

I pay nearly 30K in direct taxes, then god knows how much in indirect taxes. May only be talking about less than $100.00 for a fishing licence, but,,,

"I'M MAD AS HELL AND NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANY MORE!!!!"

Fair suck of the sav. Where will it ever end.

Statistically you have to work for nearly four months just to pay your tax bill. Back 50 years ago you only had to work less than one month.

When I lived in Melbourne and before I became fanatical,,, I was actually put off of fishing as I may have only been in the position to consider it once or twice a year, but then never did as I did not have a licence.

Is easy for us that are in to it all the time to think it is easy enough to plan and get a short period licence, but for those that are not into it and do not know the rules like the back of our hand, it is all quite daunting and really discouraging.

I remember wanting to go once and didn't because I knew I needed a licence, didn't have one, so didn't go fishing.

Before introducing such a licence, I hope they consider the non normally fishing father that would not bother taking there kid for a fish once or twice a year for the same reasons I mention above.

Will get off my soap box now.

Cheech

That's what I thought as one really doesn't need the excuse of a RFL to make a decision, simply make the decision and probably the right decision with re Qld ring netting has been made as really there's not an issue with traditional mackeral fishing.

Cheers, Kerry.

Sorry Kc but school mackeral are still allowed to be ring netted, and i think with a bycatch of 15 spotties.
    the ring netting only applies to spotted mackeral.
    regards

Gazza,
    Humble appologies if I misinterpreted your post re SIP. #

Regards,

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Thanks Webby,

Didn't know that...live & learn.

Regards

KC