Thread: Unidentified Fish

Captian_Zero

Unidentified Fish

Hi

Can you please help me identify these fish.

The first one was caught at Nudgee over ester and was about 15cm long. it was released unharmed after the photo.

Thanks

Chris

Captian_Zero

Re: Unidentified Fish

This one was caught at Loders Creek Southport and was also about 15cm long.

The first one looks like a stripey.......could be in the stripey family

Fish #1 is a banded trumpeter.

Not sure about fish #2..

Cheers
    Steve.

Agree with Steve on the first, think the second may be one of the Goby family.

Cheers, Clutter

Fish #2 - steroidalus mudskipperus?

I think fish #2 is a Harlequin Smiler

Mark

it looks like it could be from both the gobiidae and the smiler family but they are very colourfull fish.i couldnt find anything as plain as the one posted.its pretty cool seeing all these weird fish,keep sending them in

Captian_Zero

Thanks for the replies guys. I thought the second fish was a goby but I have sent the photo to the Australian Museum for their opinion and will let you know.

Cheers

Chris

Fish #2 - Asside from being F**KING UGLY, my guess would be Goby or the tail side of things kinda looks like eel tailed catfish.

Uh oh! Are gobies native to Australia? If not, you've got yourselves one heck of a problem! We have them here, in Lake Michigan. They were released in the ballist waters from a ship from the Black sea (I think it was from there, but I could be wrong). They have done some big time damage to our native ecosystem and are really messing up the perch population. You folks better act fast on this if that is in fact a gobie! Very big trouble if they get a foot hold in your waterways. They reproduce very quickly and dominate the lower end of the food chain which of course works its way up. They also kill the parents and eat the eggs of other fish. If you by chance still have the fish, take it to your fisheries management people and let them know about it as soon as possible. Trust me on this, you have to get rid of them ASAP.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

be interesting to see what the second one is,i was thinking goby family to (blue spot goby )but i dont think they grow big enough to be that one ,even thought it might be some sort of blenny.the first ones got some unusual markings on its tail and second dorsal fin ,are you guys thinking juvinile trumpeter or is that common on them up that way ?

cheers col

Captian_Zero

I have got the reply back from the Australian Museum. According to them (and they are the experts):

Fish #1 is a crescent perch (Terapon jarbua).

Fish # 2 is indeed a goby, however they are uncertain exactly which species but think possibly a Acentrogobius viridipunctatus or Acentrogobius caninus. I have sent them the picture below from a slightly different angle and will let you know what they say.

Thanks for the input guys.

Chris

Graham_N_Roberts

One thing fer sher, she ain't got an eeltail cattie type tail...

Whew! I just recieved a PM stating that gobies are native to Australia. (I sent a reply. Hope it works.) I was really worried for a second there. We are having big problems with foreign invading species and one of the main problem species is the goby. Glad to hear you're safe.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"