Thread: What Mullet is this

Captian_Zero

What Mullet is this

Hi all

The attached mullet was caught in Bulimba Creek, Carindale (fresh)

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what species of mullet it is. I think it looks closest to a sea mullet. Would they be found in the fresh?

Thanks

Chris

Re: What Mullet is this

captain zero
    geez and i thought i caught all the weird fish lately you have some crackers....lol
    good work

jeff

sea mullet do spawn in the rivers and yes.. sometimes the fresh..tho the yellow colouration of the eye might suggest its a yelloweye or estuary mullet

Tim

I would say it is a sea mullet. yes thay spend a lot of time up in the fresh water.
    barra 8)

Mugil cephalus yes its a sea mullet, they spend much of their life in the fresh and estuaries - they are bloody everywhere - as for the yellow eye mullet, they are a southern cousin, smaller in size than the sea mullet and a lot tastier too

alot of saltwater fish spend time in the fresh. for breeding, feeding, getting rid of parasites and im sure a few other reasons as well.

harryhoy

zeeke - I think you will find that mullet spawn at sea. Thats the reason for the annual mullet run.

How did you catch it?

Captian_Zero

JoeT

I caught it on a size 10 hook about 20cm under a small float, with a small piece of bread (about pea sized).

Cheers

Chris

Cheers, thanks. I live near there, might try some bread fishing when the weather isn't good enough to go out on the boat.