Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Theiving mongrel.

Re: Theiving mongrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddie
    australia is a great place and i wouldnt want to live anywhere else but like anywhere in the world there are good and bad areas to live.this forum isnt big enough to tell you about what used to go on where i used to live but ill tell a couple,weve had police chaceing crims through our back yard many times,everyone in our street had their car stolen at least once and most had their house broken into (luckly we didnt)gangs of drunks walking up the street demolishing everything in their path and we even had 5 or 6 people hidding in the corner of our yard that had robed a service station and had stabbed the attandant 6 or 7 times in the face with a screw driver.but haveing said that the whole of australia isnt like that.we have now moved to the hawksbury where i leave the house with all the doors left open when,we have a dog that sneaks in and makes itself at home on the lounge but we dont even need it because it a great area where everyone looks out for each other and keeps an eye on each others property.so ratherbfishing yes bad things do happen here but im sure bad things happen in the UK as well.if i was you i wouldnt hesitate on comeing here to live just dont live in problem areas.

Remind me not to move to your area (where is you area)

Quote Originally Posted by Ausfish
    Should be allowed to have a gun in every home as our right to do what we like in our own home.
    The two problem with that are:

1. the burglars will arm themselves with guns to protect themselves from homeowners with guns. Rather than running for the back door with your VCR under their arm, we have more shotouts, more dead homeowners (dead burglars don't count ).

2. IIRC homeowners guns kill more children than burglars.

Hi guys thank you all so much for your replies you have made me feel a lot better we just as i said want a much better life in a nice area were as you say people look out for each other and yes this place( u.k ) has some really bad areas were you just cant go and a spineless goverment that does not listen to the people when deciding its policies for penalities for the ciminals and does not implement tough enough punishments to fit the crimes so there is little deterant to this scum and on top of that they have sold all our fishing to the french and spanish while our own guys get their boats decomissioned!! the whole country is falling down around us and they just keep letting more and more people in so i think you are al right just need to pick a decent area to live when we get out there we were looking at maroochy or caloundra as possibilities or somewhere near these areas do you think these area safer areas for us and the kids?? like i said just want a quite life for my children to be safe and happy have some bbq,s with you guys drink some beer and for us all to become australians oh and do as much fishing as possible!! thanks again to all of you and have a great week kind regards paul

come to Townsville best place in the world (if your skins made of solar panels!) otherwise try Tassie (my second favourite place)
    Any fishing is good fishing (should probably say Any fishing is...probably going to be illegal soon)

Good movement sensor lights at all entrances and any dog will deter most thieves. They like easy targets. We live on the Sunshine Coast and the crime rate dropped as the dog population went up. I must ask $3,500!!!! AT HOME? and not secured?

Not a good idea, one bloke on Canberra was killed in a home invasion, he had $80,000 in cash in his home DUMB!

Think about security, all the time, think if I was a thief what would I be looking for.

You cannot legally defend your home, you have to be in fear of your life to fight back or you will be charged with assault or worse.

If you are thinking of coming to Australia don't let this put you off it is a great place and mostly safe most of the times like anywhere there are places not to live or go after dark but on the whole it's great.

I spent the last 16 years living in a home that was never locked we knew if we had intruders because they would have left stuff like fruit of food or stuff. Our milk man used to come in and put the milk in the fridge.

We have now moved to suburbia so have our dogs and a good security system but we do not exactly live in fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Dug
    I spent the last 16 years living in a home that was never locked we knew if we had intruders because they would have left stuff like fruit of food or stuff. Our milk man used to come in and put the milk in the fridge.

I grew up in the country and we never used to lock the doors even we went on holidays. The keys were always left in unlocked cars even over night. My folks never had a problem in 34ish years I've been around (rain coming through the open car windows excepted ).

get a dog its the only thing that has stopped our house from being done. nextdoor got done and when the silly scum was interupted jumped our fence to get away.dogs(2) got him held him hurt him.until about five min befor cops got there.you should have heard him sook.tip-dont put any WARNING sighns up then you are saying that your dog bites then when it does its the first time!stuff the crims.

theres 2 ways around the beware of dog sign

"Beware of Dog" sign "legally" says that there is a vicious animal on premises and if it does bite someone, you can be sued

but
    "Beware of a Dog" sign "legally" says that there is a dog on the property and if it does bite someone, you were notified by the sign

Its a legal loophole i found out when i was working in a petshop.. 2 diff signs, only 2 words difference and tis all it takes

Tim

Interesting to know that, we just put up a "beware of dog" sign for our great dane cause we have some construction goin on.

Might have to change it.

Thanks for the info

I've lived in Australia all my life, being born here in Brisbane. I Lived here for 6 years before moving up to Rockhampton for a few years. Following that, I moved back down here to live permanently. The moves were as a result of my parents' work.

In all the residences I have lived in, never once have I seen first hand a break and enter, robbery or any other related incident. We did however witness a street shootout resulting in the murder of a women and her two children when I was younger.

Furthermore, I've never had any friends or relatives that have been broken into.

I guess it's all about the areas you live in. We've never had a dog, or overly sized fences. Just common sense.

Touch wood.

Ben

wacco_fozzy

Sadly, We've been broken into in every house I've lived in (6 in total)

I'm sorry you witnessed that murder Ben. That kind of tragic and traumatic event stays with you. I've been through a few of them myself as well. Years go by but it always seems like yesterday.

Be safe and stay strong.

E.C.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

Mono, People can only try to understand the devastation of robbery if they've not been involved. We've had our home 'busted' twice. Once they got two high grade competition trap shot guns. These had been personally fitted for me and it shattered me for a long time. They were costly. We've had our business broken into twice, each time losing lots of elec tools etc. Last year took boss lady out for dinner for her b/day. The wine was good so we opened a second bottle. Doing the right thing, left my Jackaroo in restaurant yard and got cab home. Some p---k 'borrowed it (without permission of course), drove it out the bush a couple of kms, took the turbo off and burned the vehicle to remove prints etc. All for a piddling little turbo. Insurance is only a small compensation for losing something you enjoy. Sir Noelus.

the only time i have been robbed was partially my own fault.

i was night fishing in melbourne alot and couldn't be bothered taking all the gear out of the car all the time. so at the end of the night i would drape a rain coat over the lot. i lived in a good area and thought it would be no problem.

one day the car was knocked off (old sh$t box corrona) and i found it 300m down the road with all my fishing gear gone.

it upset me but i didn't let it get to me. i was partially my fault for tempting some little prick in the first place.

Aust is great and i reckon the crime rates a pretty low. i guess all we good citizens want is a far cop. that is when a person gets caught time and time again they need to be dealt with. however that may be.

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbfishing
    <snip>

like i said just want a quite life for my children to be safe and happy have some bbq,s with you guys drink some beer and for us all to become australians oh and do as much fishing as possible!! thanks again to all of you and have a great week kind regards paul
    Paul, I'm in Brisbane and came here 8 years ago from Blackpool. Never regreted it for a minute. As for where you want to live. I find Brizzy a good place 'cause I can be fishing on the Sunshine Coast, or the Gold Coast in less than an hour. I can also be fishing Moreton bay in ten minutes. The jobs are here also, although I'm a house husband. We know quite a few people from the UK that have come here and all found work inside a week.

Look me up when you get here and we can have a few beers.........oh!...........and a fish :-)

Good luck

kev