Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olympics

Olympics

I was just listening to a local news program on the radio here and they said the olympic committee was thinking about putting the olympics back in Sydney again. I know that would be just about impossible at this short of notice but have you guys heard this at all? The reasons being the security risks and the unpreparedness of Greece to host the games (I heard they still haven't finished building a lot of the facilities). I really doubt that this will happen, but I wouldn't mind if it did. You guys put on by far the greatest summer olympics I've ever seen. Also, I'll be brutally honest here, I am very afraid that something very bad is going to happen. It's too darn close to the hot zone. I don't think I'd go if you paid me. I hate being so negative and I really hope everything goes perfectly and there are no "incidents" but I just have a really queazy feeling about the whole thing.

Would you guys be ready for a sequel? "Olympics II, Return to Sydney" sounds like a movie!
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Re: Olympics

Theres been that rumour about for several years now. in my opinion it would be impossible to hold in Sydney again this year anyway. just too much organising required.

Got to say one thing about Greece's organising so far though "sh!thouse"

NQCairns

Sequel [smiley=hammer.gif]Crikey I dont ever want to go through that again, it was hard enough trying to ignore the Sydney one, everywhere it was olympics this olympics that, a feeding frenzy, at least with it being in Athens I have only been subject to around 2 minutes a day on the news about it, I can handle that .nq

Even at the end of the Sydney Olympics as the flag was handed over to the Greek committee, there was talk of Sydney doing this coming event

This was actually a 'Plan B' if it looked like Athens wasn't going to be able to make it. But the call would have been made three years or more ago. Apparently the Greeks didn't do a darned thing about the Games for three years after they got the nod. (politics)

So - yes it was on the cards for Sydney to help out in an emergency - but that was several years ago. As always this story is a beat up by the media....

Cheers
    Steve.

Impossible to do in the short to medium term as most of the infrastructure is no longer in place and much of what was there has been removed.

clutter

The rugby scandals, the drug scandals, the cheating scandals, the olympic building scandals, as soon as they ban the whole mad media sporting thing and start to sponsor real sport for real people not insane TV powered competitions the better. [smiley=wut.gif]

Hey NQ, did they tell you guys up there that the Olympics were on?

I can remember before the Sydney Olympics that the media were saying that Sydney was not ready...some venues would not be finished..transport system would not cope etc etc. I think they just roll out the same stories every four years and just change the names to suit.

As for the terror side...you change things because you are afraid of a terrorist attack and the terrorists have won..that is what they do..promote terror in people. Just keep tight security but do not change...ain't gunna give those bums any idea they might have won anything.

I think the difference is there were small hitches in Sydney compared to major hitches in Athens. Most of the stadiums were built and functioning well before the games. By this, look at the main stadium, it was up and running and hosting footy games before it was built (March 6, 1999, what is that 18 months early?). Same with the aquatic venue. The Athens mob is still putting on its roof. Are they going to have training runs or just open the thing on the day and hope its ok?

i agree with dug ban all the bloody sport and put more fishing shows on TV

How about the "Fishing Olympics"?

Events:

1. Synchronized fly casting
    2. The tuna toss
    3. Fishing marathon (fish as long as you can until you pass out.)
    4. Speed netting
    5. Untangling tangled knots in your reel (dreaded bird's nest)
    6. Fifty yard boat launch dash
    7. Power hook setting
    8. Beer chugging (on land--don't get drunk on the water!)
    9. Shark wrestling
    10. Freestyle hook from thumb removal

Those are just a few ideas. You guys can probably come up with a few too. Also what would be featured in the opening and closing ceremonies?
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

Quote Originally Posted by Dug
    The rugby scandals, the drug scandals, the cheating scandals, the olympic building scandals, as soon as they ban the whole mad media sporting thing and start to sponsor real sport for real people not insane TV powered competitions the better. [smiley=wut.gif]
    Yep ! And to boot, me thinks that as soon as the media is make to be accountable for the sh*t and rumours,and trouble they MAKE [smiley=angryfire.gif] the better off we all will be.

NQCairns

Drevil I was living in Port Stephens at the time, even fishing Stockton beach one nite I was assulted by some olympics hullabaloo 12km away across the water at Port Newcastle. It was everywhere!!!