Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Olympics

Re: Olympics

Geez fellas,

Well this mannered an humble media type spent 6 weeks covering the Olympics in Sydney in 2000.

I'd have to say I've never worked so hard and partied so hard in my sporting career.

Absolutely amazing logistical feat, with Sydney putting on a great display for our country.

If you're after a good read and have a bit of time:

http://www.abc.net.au/olympics/2000/...og/bugglog.htm

The site won "best online" at the Qld Media Awards in 2000/2001.

I was actually working for ABC radio and doing the weblog in my spare/free time. A couple of days I went "missing" and my colleagues back in Brissy helped me out.

I'm guessing there'll be a lot of broken links now as that gateway has been retired.

Bugman

The media will keep coming up with crap for as long as people will keep listening to it.

Bugman, congratulations on the award for your site. Sounds like you had fun.

I get agrivated with the "hype" created by some folks in the media as well guys. Sometimes it's like a two week long athletic shoe and sport's drink commercial. Still, like I said earlier, you Aussies know how to hold an olympics. It was the best one I've ever seen. Compare it to what the other countries did. Remember the bungie-jumpers clad in ballet tights and flowery head gear? (Barcelona, was it? I don't even remember. ) Like a giant San Franciscan nightmare! No offense to those of you who live that particular lifestyle and are of that particular orientation. If you aren't familiar with what San Francisco is known for, you won't get that line.

What I really remember about the Sydney games was seeing Slim Dusty for the first time. I liked the way he sounded and looked up his music on the net. I have been a huge fan of his music ever since. He is one of my favorite musicians. Very sad to hear of his passing My dad likes him too (which is saying something because my dad hates just about everything ). He says, "Now that's what country music is supposed to sound like!" whenever I play a Slim Dusty CD. Was he very popular there? I imagine he was if they had him perform at the olympics. He reminds me a little of Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash. His music always cheers me up and gives me a lift when I'm stuck not fishing. You guys like him? Just wondering?

E.C. 8)
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

By the way, are there any other Australian musicians you guys like that I might be interested in listening to? It's like a wasteland of mediocrity here. Everyone tries to sound like everyone else and alas, they do!
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

I like Nick Cave. Slim is popular here. My dad likes him, or is that Willie Nelson?

Sydney has the same rep as San Fran, but San Fran would have more of the real thing.

Ooops..did I make a derogatory remark about the media..sorry Brett.

Thanks Jockey. I'll do a search and listen to him. It will be good to hear some new tunes!

Hi El_Carpo,
    You asked if Slim was popular here.....
    Let me put it this way without sarcasim.....
    If the choice was who would you rather have dinner with
    1) Slim Dusty
    2) Any other country singer in the world.

The answer would be 90% Slim.
    Seriously, he IS the King of country here in Oz.

I grew up listening to him, due to my Dad's taste in music. I am a heavy metal fan, but when it comes to Slim Dusty I rate him as my 2nd favourite artist to listen to. Suprised?
    I also like Merl Haggert. His style is also very good as well as Dwight Erkle (cant remember how its spelled.)
    The common theme amoungst these 3 performers for me is they sing from the heart, and usually about the things they love. Thats all that matters for me.
    "When the rain tumbles down in July" from Slim is my all time favourite song.
    Cheers
    Les

MT Pockets,

Thanks for the post! I agree completely with you. His music is just awesome! I can't listen to them without feeling better. "When the rain..." is one of those songs I get stuck in my head all the time . I'll be humming or whistling it sometimes without thinking about it. My family always kids me about this--

Them: "Tommmm, you're doing it again."

Me: "What am I doing?"

Them: "You're whistling those Slim Dusty songs!"

Me: "So it appears! If you don't like it, too bad! Mwa ha ha ha ha! "

Yes, he may be gone, but his music will always be in my collection. No doubt about it! We have great taste in music!!!

P.S. Sorry for the late response. I just kept getting new hassles to deal with all day long. Every time I logged on to AusFish, I got called away to handle some new work or family "emergency."