Thread: Pectoral Fin Removal

Needmorerum

Pectoral Fin Removal

Reading the DPI Regulations, what is the idea behind removing the pectoral fin before a fish is put into cold storage?
    All I can think of is that it is to be kept at ambient temperature cause most fish change colour when dead and cold. Is this right?

cHiCo

Re: Pectoral Fin Removal

Its to stop illegal selling of fish.

before arriving back at boat-ramp ,I thought ??? Not necessarily onboard ??? ,in a legal sense ???

Needmorerum

So what your saying Chico, is that it is illegal to buy fish that are missing the pectoral fin??

And, Gazza, here is a copy of what is written, it doesn't say anything about locations, I figure it would be at all. Not sure where I stand as far as putting fish into an ice slurry in an esky. Would this be part of the 'cold storage' theme.

-------
    In relation to coral reef fin fish a recreational fisher:

must not possess on board any boat fish taken from a boat other than in one of the following forms - whole, gilled or gutted or filleted;

may possess on board a boat a fillet of a fish other than a Chinese footballer (blue spot) trout as long as the length of the fillet is at least 40cm, and skin and scales are attached to the fillet;

must not return fish taken ashore from a boat and filleted and returned to a boat unless the length of the fillet is at least 40cm, and skin and scales are attached to the fillet;

must not put whole or gilled and gutted fish into cool storage without first removing a pectoral fin (see illustration in “Fish measurement”); or

must not bring live fin fish ashore.

-------

Cheers
    Corry

Yes it is to stop the rec fishos from selling fish. You cut one off and chuck it overboard. Any legit fish in a fish shop or restaurant will still have both fins.

thanks Corry ,was getting the 'ashore' bit mixed up...
    Did ask the question once ,about therefore expecting ALL whole fish for sale to have both pecs attached ,not one,not zero

gif

Pectoral Fin Removal - when ??

Cutting off Pectoral Fins?

Isn't that what you do with Jet Skiers? Or am I getting my posts mixed up? I think I need more sleep ...

Seahunt
    Thats the theory, but what stops the fishshop from skinning and filleting the fish ?

Regards, Tony

Hi Tony,
    Maybe I should have said ,"Yes it is supposed to stop the rec fishos from selling fish. "
    Anyway the answer is ....nothing.
    But I suppose they would have em in their cold rooms for a while before they got around to the filleting , so I guess there is always a chance they could get caught.