Thread: Best Mozzie repellant

Brett_Hoskin

Best Mozzie repellant

Talking to a builder (Fred) working up here in QLD from New South Wales who told me that he and a few of his workers have been fishing in a tinny after work. Apparently the mozzies have been giving them a bit of stick so the young fella (early 20's) mentioned this to someone in the caravan park . Well he received the "best remedy of all time" for homemade mozzie repellant.

Anyway my mate Fred and the boys went out 3 nights ago and from what I can gather the conversation went something like this.
    Fred>>> What is that smell?
    Young fella>> What smell?
    Fred>> Did you leave some bait in the boat the other day, It stinks.
    Young fella>>No I cleaned the boat out.

Fred>>>(Moving his head a little closer to the young fella) It's you...you f*&^%$G stink like fish.

Young fella>>OH thats the special mozzie repellant. No mozzies on me tonight. You can stick that Aeroguard it don't work..

It turns out that the young fella was told by an "old bloke" in the toilets at the caravan park that the best repellant for mozzies was a mixture containing

2 teaspoons of lemon juice
    1 teaspoon of coffee
    1 part babyoil to 4 patrs TUNA OIL
    Mix thoroughly and rub in well

I was on site today and the #poor bugger still stunk like a 2 day old burley mix.

This will take a lot to beat.....

They have nicknamed the young fella...Whiskers.

Re: Best Mozzie repellant

What was the young fella doing mingling with an old bloke in public toilets with tuna oil?

Kinda kinky of you ask me.

I don't Know about that one

But I use 50% baby oil and 50% of Dettol.

Never to be touched again by mozzies.

Ray

Gees that sounds like a script to a George Michel film clip....

[smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]
    LMAO
    could always hang him over the back of the tinney for a bit of a burley/oil slick
    i will probably stick to bushmans though

maybe they should try a full vinyl body (gimp) suit that should also keep the mozzies off

CHRIS_aka_GWH

[smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by Brett_H
    ... 1 teaspoon of coffee
    maintains a tan in winter too - always a bonus for George Michael fans # [smiley=policeman.gif] [smiley=builder2.gif] [smiley=cowboy.gif] [smiley=Mr-T.gif] #

personally I don't wear any - after half an hour anchored off Short Is. you've been sucked dry & the mozzies leave ya alone.

chris

Apparently burning cow shit will repel mozzies pretty effectively, but not exactly something you can do in a boat that readily.

RID has always worked for me - I don't bother mucking around with fancy recipes. Any form of repellent that contains DEET will do the trick. If they're still having a go at you, marinate yourself in it and rub it on your clothes - you shouldn't be wearing your Pierre Cardin Business Collection fishing anyway.

God

I've got a mozzie repellant plant at home that smells like a citronella candle. Haven't tried rubbing it on me for repellant yet.

Remo, I know a few others that use a similar recipe and is one in Nuggets hints and tips.

Question,,, the baby oil is probably to keep it in place and maybe look after your skin whilst you coat it with anticeptic. Have you ever tried using sun screen instead of the baby oil. Then you would end up with a mozzie repalent that also acts as a sun screen,,,, or a sun screen that also acts as a mozzie repalent. [smiley=idea.gif]

Thought of trying it myself but even better if someone else trials it for me first. [smiley=devilish.gif]

By the way, are you taking this GOD thing just a tad far Ben? Your going to need therapy soon starting to believe your own press.

Just look out for a really big foot about to stomp you.

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by Maria
    What was the young fella doing mingling with an old bloke in public toilets with tuna oil? #

Kinda kinky of you ask me.
    Almost as kinky as bending over to have a dolphins tail shoved up your arse ;-)

kev