Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Makes a Good "Fisherman"

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Re: What Makes a Good "Fisherman"

don't the "good guys" wear the white hats ? #

taking good to mean capable ...

After much consideration I #would say 3 traits

1. Passion - as with any pastime / occupation. Passion is #the greatest motivator.

2. Experience - include in this local knowledge. Bring an offshore pelagic expert inside only a matter of 10km from his hunting ground & the whiting expert will fish all over him in the river.

3. Intelligence - the ability to apply a series of unrelated events to a desireable outcome - the application of knowledge. That's good fishermen are interesting people - regardless of their occupation they are intelligent people & most often than not - quiet, modest people.

i actually think that patience belies the efforts of potentially good fisherman. They believe if they persist they will succeed, rather than analysing why they aren't succeeding & actively adjusting what they do accordingly.

chris

ps currently I don't think I am a "good" fisherman, Although capable I find my primary passion to be my young family - on saturday night I went home with them rather than fish thru the night; I had worked all week & hadn't seen the boys to bed at all. I don't regret the decision for a minute.

I like some of the responses so far, but I agree most with Jeffo. Anyone can catch fish when they are biting. A really good fisherman can be measured by their consistency and ability to catch fish when no-one else can. Even better if they can do that with a variety of different fish, not just one species. I think a good fisherman should also be able to catch fish in unfamiliar territory, although it is hard to beat local knowledge.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Hi Guys,

Havent logged on for ages, and have only started fishing again after a 6month break, dunno why really just always had something else to do, now I still have that stuff to do but it takes a back seat to having a fish. I think that most of the guys on this site are good fishos, whether they catch fish like mackmauler or webby or nugget, the guys here are all in for the same thing (I think) that is to share the experince and common bond of people who have a passion for fish and fishing.
    The results are a personal thing, some guys get a kick out of big numbers and some get a kick out of big sizes, and so long as it's within reason there is never any problems with that.
    A long time ago I came to the realisation that everyone has dud trips and everyone has great trips, its just that the majority of times that someone writes up a trip is if its a good one, lets face it, its none too interesting to read about a trip where it rains the fish were off and the boat broke down.
    Most guys and I would be interested in hearing from mack, webby and others on the ratio of duds to rewarded trips as a lot of guys seem to thing that every time they go out they score.
    I beleive consistancy is the key to increasing your results, simply the more often you fish the more likely you are to produce the reults.

Regards Glen.
    Cheers Glen,

One Life, What will you catch next!

Gday Glen, when we score its a team effort, what i can offer is some of the above but cant do everything all the time, even a total novice who takes the time to take the old bait off every drop or spots a marlin tailing is right up there with the best given the situation, as long as its been nice weather and the crew were awake we have NEVER missed in the last year or so many thanks to the boys who get up at all hours to fish with me 8) cheers #Rob

I think Phill is spot on a good fisherman is not a bad fisherman.??
    but have to agree with the need for a log or jurnal of your trips.
    i use a program called ####### i fill in after each trip .
    where, when, tide , moon, wind , brom, catch , gps spot, very detailed , helps to look back at time to see what you where catching last year.

Cheers Cloud 9

P.S. still trying to get better at what i love! FISHING
    then it realy gets ughly

A good fisherman has respect for the other people around him, and has a great deal of respect for the environment he fishes, and is aware what goes on in the environment around him - he can limit his catch and not catch his limit, and gets more satisfaction releasing a whopper than keeping a whopper. A good fisherman speaks a universal language and can find company or conversation anytime anywhere in a boat or on the land as long as he has rod in hand. He knows his way round his local tackle shop but gets lost in a supermarket - knows the name of his tackleshop assistant or owner but has no clue who his bank manager is. A good fisherman is hardened to his environment and can handle extreme heat, cold, wind, rain, early mornings, late nights, cuts and scratches, being spiked, bad smells and warm beer.
    A good fisherman is a genuine aussie bloke with the time of day for anyone. He has patience, persitence and consideres his hobby or sport of fishing as also an art.

Shall i keep going?

I dont think its about catching fish at all, I think its more about the person and the environnment they choose to be in, and being at the mercy of mother natures creations.

i agree raefpud
    [smiley=wiseguy.gif]but one thing i dont agree with is warm beer has to be cold even if it gets put in with the fish ice slurry (always can wipe of the scales )....

How good a fisherman is- if youre able to convince the missus everytime
    LMAO!!!
    because my girl is getting really pissed off at me for going fishin so much

i suppose youre good when you can catch fish when no one else is-catching fish when there not on the chew?

Thanks for the responses, some interesting thoughts.
    My Opinion are simple ones.
    Expert..No such a person in the fishing world.
    Good Fisho..1. Enjoys what he's doing, wether successful or
    not.
    2. Sets himself a higher then legal size.
    3. Only takes what he wants.
    4. Knowledge of the species he's targeting.
    When/where/how.
    5. Willing to share (to a degree )

Bad Fisho 1. "after anything thats biting"
    hope you no what it mean by that.
    2. Shows no consideration for others.
    3. Shows no consideration for rules and
    reg's.
    4. Whinges and wines after every trip, blaming
    everyone else but himself.
    5. Could give a shit about the future, and only
    worries about the present.
    As i said there only simple points, that descrimates between both.
    Or maybe as i said in the original post its just "different strokes for different blokes".
    As for Glens question, Mate, I dont class myself as anything above the ordinary, yes i catch fish, but many years ago, i too spent many a sleepless night and came home empty.
    Blonk me in a freshwater environment and i'd be like a dog chasing its tail.
    The only way to improve ones self is something i learn a long time ago, Exploration, Dedication, Enjoyment.
    regards

A good fisho is some one who enjoys fishing just as much if he or she catches nothing. It is just the joy of being there.

That's what I tell the wife all the time ,different subject

!!!SIMPLE!!!Well said Dug