Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crabbing Changes on the Way

Re: Crabbing Changes on the Way

hi all,
    any reduction in rec bag limits must be matched with a reduction in pro limits. i assume there is a commercial quota for crabs. if the rec in posesion limit is lowered by say 30% then the pro quota must be also reduced by that amount.
    i bet that will never happen though > >
    i bet the commercial sector are well over represented on crabmac
    cheers
    dazza

imported_admin

One thing that is not mentioned that should be changed is the fact the retail outlets are able to sell crabs with the carapace removed "Cleaned for your convenience" they call it.

Problem is that there is no way of knowing if the crab is undersize once the carapace is removed. Under recreational laws we can not remove the carapace unless for immediate consumption. But commercial operations can remove the carapace and clean 100 crabs and have them sitting in the display cabinet.

As shown on Brisbane Extra last night there are undersize sandcrabs for sale in shops. If the crab shown on TV had of been "Cleaned for your convenience" there would be no way of proving it was undersize.

I rang fisheries a while ago about this and they tried to tell me that they could use the old undersize measurement. So I informed them that this measurement is no longer able to be used due to the size decrease, as well as it is no longer in the regulations. They then tried to tell me that they could get their biologists to conduct a scientific study to determine the size. I suggested this would cost them and the tax payer a lot of money and probably would not bring a successful prosecution. They then said they would look into it and get back to me. Still have had no reply from them.

To me it appears Fisheries is slowly handing the crab resource to the commercial sector.
    What I can not understand is WHY ?

Interesting info that Steve, never knew of the 'cleaned for your convenience' loophole.
    I still say if a law comes in allowing the taking of female crabs above a certain length, because they cannot breed anymore, take the lot of em.

I'd just be happy if they used their floats properly.

6 months ago I ran over a float that was one of those 150mm balls, but was cut in half. Not legal and for good reason. I didn't see it!! Then on Saturday night we almost ran over another just the same. Almost in the same location actually.

Have also seen a number that are probably commercial that are so covered in weed that you cannot see them if motoring. Why don't the commercial guys clean their floats?

Bad enough trying to untangle your prop in daylight and good conditions, but gets dangerous doing it at night in bad conditions.

And don't get me started on those that set them in the middle of a channel either.

Sorry, not really the discussion of the thread, but I would be happy if people just start by following the rules, whatever they are.

I bought yellow floats for my pots last year. Happy to have them replaced by equivalent white ones free of charge by the DPI.

Well, no I'm not really; as posted by Cheech, there are plenty of weed covered floats that are obviously out there all day every day, and it wouldn't matter if they were white or yellow to start with.

The floats I really like to (not) see are the 2 litre soft drink bottles