Thread: ways to hook live baits

ways to hook live baits

would just like to know everyones opinion on hooking up live baits, and what justification and reasoning they have for hooking the live baits the way they do.

Thanks guys

Dylan

Re: ways to hook live baits

i always hook mine through the nose.. nice strong tow point and doesnt seam to hinder the bait to much. hooking through the back can be good, but sometimes can turn the fish upside down with the weight of the hook.

NeilD

Depends on current etc. I usually hook through nose (sometimes with a rear stinger). Hooking through the back can upset the baits balance and it looks more like an injured fish.

Neil

I prefer the back because it's a nice strong point to hook them through, and as Neil said, it looks like an injured fish that's strayed from the school, which I believe will provoke more strikes.

Only prob though is not killing them. Sometimes a little difficult with small fish.

God

I think it depends on what live bait you're using...things like greenback herring, I think through the back is the go as the have a relatively soft/thin mouth. With mullet/whiting (legal ones) through the nose or the back doesn't really matter, depends on what your preferance is.

Usually i run one of each, thru head and back.. some fish smash heads some like to hit the mid section and some will go for the tail ,, depends what your chasing , Ive found though the mouth head hooks seem to tire the fish more . And dont worry about that injured fish effect , youd be surprised how far that struggling fish sends out an array of dinner bells