Thread: fresh fish

fresh fish

How long does fish stay FRESH, on ice, in the fridge.
    IMO if I keep a feed of fish it will be cooked and eaten within 24 hrs of leaving the water.
    just makes me wonder how long some of this fresh fish sits around in the markets, we dont have markets in my area, most people i know just go and catch a feed when they want one (except me today)
    cheers
    blaze

Re: fresh fish

depending on the fish and how it was handled when caught, a week average. do you actually need a fridge in tassie
    rob

Having spent many many hours researching this exact topic, all I can say to you is gut and bleed your catch as soon as possible and then immediately get the fish on ice - or as close to 0'C celcius as you possibly can - if you can get your fish out of the water and into ice in as short amount of time as possible, you will dramatically increase the storage time of your fish - there is no exact time u can keep your fish for asit varies from fish to fish and how you have handled it, but sensory perception will tell you if the quality of your fish has deteriorated - i.e. if it starts to smell, change colour, fall apart or become overly slimy or sticky, then its time to get rid of it.

bidkev

Raefpud's just about answered it.

For myself, Any *I'm* not using within a day, get's open (fast)frozen immediately, even if I'm eating it in 3 day's time. Freezing slows down deterioration.

The missus takes what she wants for the week (she eats it every lunch), cooks it all in the microwave, and takes a cooked portion a day to work to re-heat. Myself, I don't think *anything* smells worse than microwaved fish.......I'm told there is a mass exodus from her staff room at lunch time :-)

cheers

kev

Salt water brine once caught. Cleaned and filleted asap.

eaten within 3 days then frozen.

I believe that commercial fishoes can keep fish on ice for 8 days. Not too sure about that though.

Spiking through the head is a measure done in certain pro circumstances. For the Asian market.

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill

<snip>

I believe that commercial fishoes can keep fish on ice for 8 days. #Not too sure about that though.

Phill
    Fleetwood UK trawlermen used to spend 10 wks at sea when they fished Iceland before the "cod wars". The fish was iced for all that time, not frozen, at least not intentionally, as the ships used to ice up, so I would think that 8 days is quite feasible.

cheers

kev

Fresh Fish - Storage Temp : -1 to 1C Humidity 95 to 100 %
    Approx Storage Life - 5 to 14 days
    Frozen Fish - Storage Temp : -29 to -18C Humidity 90 to 95 %
    Approx Storage Life - 6 to 12 months

depends if you like real quality , in a brine thats cleaned and changed regularly ,yes, fish will last up to a week or so and bacterial counts can be kept to a minimum,, but some of those foriegn markets arent to fussy and what you call fresh and what your asian counterpart in a street market thinks is fresh can be two different things,,

I agree tho ,, no more than three then freeze if you have to.
    personally,, if I dont eat it that day , its snap frozen..

A friend who had a fish shop amazed me by saying that fish in shops will often be up to 12 days old. He put me onta a really neat trick and as the chief cook and lover of good fish at home it had to be simple and effective
    Try this.....
    Use a tub, eg 2 litre ice cream tub or old lunch box etc....
    Make a floor to hold the fish up off the bottom out of the slops eg a lid from some other tub that fits nicely down the bottom.....
    Put fish in tub....
    Cover liberally with crushed ice.... (to keep moist and cold)
    Place glad wrap over tub (to keep from drying out)
    Put tub into cold spot in fridge where it ALMOST freezes, ie ice should survive for 2-3 days if it is at correct temp....
    Every day or two, drain slops and add more ice....
    Try it you will be amazed how simple and effective it is

"Put tub into cold spot in fridge where it ALMOST freezes, ie ice should survive for 2-3 days if it is at correct temp...."

most fridges operate at 4C..therefore there will be very few that will hold ice for 2 to 3 days in a domestic fridge in the fridge section. To hold ice you need 0C or below to maintain if for that length of time and that will lead to other items freezing.

so it seems to me that it would not be uncommon to buy fresh fish that is a few days old out of a market or shop, no wonder i dont buy fish, as i said in the original post 24 max, no wonder people dont appriate good fish and have to add alsorts of herbs and spices to eat it
    cheers
    blaze

Nice to be involved in a topic which doesn't include an augument for a change!! I noticed someone mentioned "brain spiked" It is what japense call "Īkijima" (probabley wrong spelling)....In my real life I own a restaurant and handle a LOT of fish..both fresh & frozen. When we get regular fresh or fresh frozen fish I plan on a shelf life (at 1 degree) of 5 days.
    I have , over the last year or so, started buying live fish from a local exporter (F$#%^% expensive) and it is brain spiked when removed (calmly) from the tank. If I had not witnessed it with my own eyes I would not believe the difference, both in terms of "longevity" and eating quality. Brain spiked (calmed) fish last for more than 2 weeks like brand new and tastes sensational. Taking to the exporter it appears that when a fish is caught, by any method, the stresses involved result in endorphines being release which effect the flesh. Regardless of how you then kill and handle the fish after that the endorphines quickly effect the quality and ability of the fish to "keep". By calming the fish (as in holding tank) and then gentle removing and brain spiking no such endorphine effects occur. Like I said, I have dealt with fish my whole life, both recreationally and in the restaurant game, and if I had not seen it with my own eyes, and tasted the difference I would never have believed it. So my call, regular fish, either line or net caught 5 days max at 1 degree....calmed & brain spiked..same fish 14 days plus. Try it yourself..you will be amazed!!

KC

14 days, thats increditable
    I suppose i stick to my 24 hours because i purchased fresh scallops from a store, ate some at the time and put the rest in the freezer for a week and was so violently ill that it was 10 years before i ate another scollap, this was a lotta years ago though (my guess is they wernt fresh when i purchased them)
    cheers
    blaze

CHRIS_aka_GWH

makes sense - cattle that suffer produce tougher meat.

incidently any cut meats have a much shorter shelf life. Keep fish whole, gilled, gutted (without perforating the gut lining) & unscaled for maximum shelf life.

donn't forget the diff between ice in an esky and a domestic fridge is the static air component. Put a fish in a plasic bag in a fridge and it will sweat and deteriorate faster than you pull your nose from the bag in a few days when you open it. Put it on ice and the ice will eventually freeze the skin and directly underneath but keep most of the fish in excellent condition for days as the cold prohibits baterial growth. Put in on an open plate in a domestic fridge and the effect of the cold air blowing down from the freezer will dry out your fish and it will be tough after a day or so. In my humble opinion the best for all fish and crustaceans is a static air fridge. That is, the type that don't have a blower in them and set it at around 2C. I know chefs pay a fortune for static air fridges for this purpose, but i reckon most of us have the nearest equivalent in our engels and waecos. I tried this with 2 cooked sand crabs, one in the waeco and one in the fridge, both on a plate and uncovered. The one in my westinghouse stunk after two days - i think both the time it took cold air to travel to the crab led to inconsistent temperatures, particularly when the fridge was opened and closed in the normal course of a day. The crab in the waeco was seemingly perfect even after 4 days - to be noted the waeco didn't get opened more than once a day cause it was a test. but i spose you get the idea.