Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should There Be A bag Limit For Bream?

Re: Should There Be A bag Limit For Bream?

..back to the topic.....

I think there should be a bag limit of ten. With all the rage on Soft Plastics, Bream are copping a pizzling. As someone said - its hard to get ten these days.

I also think Whiting should have a bag limit of 40.

cheers

Maria you will also notice from my previous posts that I don't take cheap shots at people, like this one "THAT’S THE DARK BLACK STUFF WITH THE SLOPEY APPEARANCE. "

Also, you don't have to say black, nigger, asian or any other special words to make a racist comment. It comes down to your intention and how people interpret what you say. I think that most reasonable people reading your post would interpret what you said as a slur against asians.

I didnt interpret it that way.....but hey, while we are on the subject, they ARE the ones evidently catching and keeping undersize fish and fishing illegally in our waters are they not.

In many cases the foregners fishing illegally in our waters are asian. That doesn't mean that all asians fish illegally in our waters, or that the fact that they are asian has anything to do with it, except that Australia is next to Asia. This point is even more important for local people of asian descent who keep undersize fish. Not all local land based fishermen of asian descent keep undersize fish. It is very important not to generalise like that, especially on a public forum.

CHRIS_aka_GWH

maria & jockey - argue privately lads - you are ruining a good thread

I think 28cm would be a 'reasonable' minimum legal size for bream and a max bag limit of 10.
    If the minimum legal length was to be further increased then we could relax the bag limit a little further also i.e. 30cm min length - 15 fish bag limit.

Herby

p.s. Good topic squire. Research or otherwise, it's interesting to read what everyone thinks and has to say on the matter.

Why wait until there is a problem. Why not be Pro-active and think about what it could be like in the future. The old "It wont happen in my lifetime' syndrome strikes back.

Can you put your hand on your heart and say the fishing for bream and whiting is a sgood as the old blokes say it was 50 yrs ago.?

Yeah , easily mate #[smiley=end.gif] , old guys didn't use lures or sp's or gps ,they just used smelly mulletgut and chicken strips. Whiting? , yabbies and worms....bit yukky though

wussies can't catch fish # ,too busy cleaning their fingernails #

p.s. RecFishos can't catch more with sizelimits changing higher and ever higher
    (heard about the min. limit for whiting @ 35cms in SA..yet )

When it comes to rec fishos doing the wrong thing, isn't it the 'old hands' that do the most damage. Experienced fishermen with boats who now how to catch a load of fish and then sell them? I've never seen shore based fishermen with many fish.

Gazza,
    I'm not going to try to convert you, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that's they beauty of these forums. #
    However, I encountered a couple of old blokes at the boat ramp the other day. They'd been fishing through-out the night in the Passage (Caloundra) and had caught maybe 70-80 bream, all barely legal (23-25cms) on crabs they'd collected at low tide.
    I kid you not, not a single fish near or over 30cm!!!
    The worst part is that these old blokes will fillet the lot and freeze the majority, which in 6 months will be dumped back in the river for the Pelicans to enjoy. Seen it may times before! #> #> >
    That just brings tears to my eyes # and I don't care what anyone says about spawning age and plague proportions .... I don't agree with a 23cm limit and belive a bag limit of 10 or 15 fish is enough to satisfy everyone.
    Perhaps I just want my kids to be able to enjoy fishing as much as I did when I was a nipper! # [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]Unfortunately I have my doubts if that will be the case at the rate we're going.

Cheers & Beers,
    Herby

Plague proportions? I've never seen that. I haven't cought more than ten in one session since I was a kid.

Herby,

I fished the Caloundra end of the Passage the other night, and we caught about 30 odd bream in a few hours, and released all bar one of them, and it was 32cm to the fork. We didn't pull a single other type of fish in the whole time (not that we were trying) but they are in good numbers at the moment. The bigger ones take more skills and paitence to land though.

But no one needs to keep and armada of bream...it is plain selfish and and egotistical IMO. Bag and size limits is a good topic to open up....esp on bread and butter fish like bream.

Tight Lines,
    Hutcho

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Quote Originally Posted by jockey
    ... I've never seen shore based fishermen with many fish.... # ...I haven't cought more than ten in one session since I was a kid.
    Be at the end of Toompany St Amity Point 2 to 4 days before a full moon in July with fresh mullet strips, mullet gut & the prince of baits, live hardiheads. Use an 11ft rod & centre pin alvey, have some very sharp 2/0 french pattern hooks (that you aren't too attached too cause you'll lose some) & some size 2 split shots).

Fish moon rise, moon overhead, & hold onto ya hat for moonset - ya can't rebait quick enough.

You now have a head start on landing a cricket score of bream from the land. I'll race ya to 50. But I'll only keep 10 that are 30cm - guaranteed.

chris

ps bream aren't in danger but are worth our protection none the less

To all I would like to thank you for your thoughts and opinions as an avid Bream fisherperson I have found it very useful and informative. The interest shown reassures me that the majority of us already have put in place good fishing practices for our estuary species. This topic has been a learning curve for all. Thanks again and good fishing to all. Marty.

Bream would be a decent option for a slot limit. 25-35cm would just about do it. Most bream caught/kept are in that range anyway. Release the bigger ones to go merrily on their way for breeding.