Thread: Over-Runs Fishing new art form.

Over-Runs Fishing new art form.

I've always enjoyed over-runs. Thats right-over runs, those dirty big screaming birds nest that take hours of patience and six inches of stainless steel to clean up.
    But i love 'em, you can sit there quietly, rip the top off a black can and fiddle and pick to your little hearts content.
    A little pick here and another sip there.
    But over-runs have to be measured in real terms. By that, I mean the number of cans you have to demolish until you finally get back to putting a line in the water.
    Now overruns cover the full spectrum, from neat little five min jobs that can be measured in terms of only one can and a few short bursts of language, or you have the career-building blowouts that you take home, invite the mates around with a cartoon and a pizza and play "pass the spool around", while you bullshit as to how it happened.
    Well i had one on the weekend, yes a bloody overhead and yes braid line, where i tried to cast from one side of rainbow to the other, at that precise moment of casting, a wave from a passing cruise, left me groping for a hold on anything i could lay my hands on, meanwhile the reel was doing it uptmost to unload all the line inside the spool.
    After a few cans , and weilding the knife, i could not untangle the mess, we even got to the stage of dismantling the reel, this all became too much and was tossed into the too hard basket (the cabin), so i now have a rod with half a reel and the rest is in a plastic bag, all waiting to be returned to its normal status.
    Whats your bird nest of the century.
    regards

Re: Over-Runs Fishing new art form.

Sounds like yours takes the cake Brian!!

ah yes . how soon we try to forget. the day i bought brand new, rod, baitcaster,new fireline 2lb.
    having never used a baicaster before. they say practise practise and even more practise. well i thought that if im going to use it with fireline anyway i might aswell practice with it. first cast nice steady lob into my pool. second lob same spot. this is not that hard????? wrong ...... third lob, try to be a bit more adventurise.turn all the knobs off, really let the spool spin. stand further away from the pool. bring rod back, keep rod at correct angle, thumb ready, ok let it rip. follow through watching, watching, oh no lure is heading tooo far over the fence, pull the rod back quick stop the lure, lost my thumb somewhere and ended up with one of the most expensive and time consuming eagles nest ever. oh my god. it took me nearly a week of constant tweasing and unthreading. everyday after work come home have tea then sit in my office for four hours try to save my new toy.
    on the bright side, saved the lure from going over the fence.

Nastiest i've had, was luring off the bank of a little creek a few years ago. Wound up for what was supposed to be THE cast that was going to get me that barra outa the snag up the creek. Wound up, wen to cast, no lure went anywhere! WHO PUT THAT DAMNED MANGROVE ROOT THERE! Nice little birds nest put an end to that fishing trip. O well, supoose it was my fault for not checking my backswing!

Dan
    Southwind SF20 'Piscatoreous'
    Savage 14ft tinny "About Time'

I fish on a budget and always buy the cheap shitty line.

When i get a nest i cut where it starts and where it ends and join in the middle :-)

Have been looking at the good lines lately though and thought that i would need to be more careful so as not to waste my money by making lovely little nests that cost a fortune to cut out.

Quote Originally Posted by easyrider525
    ah yes . how soon we try to forget. the day i bought brand new, rod, baitcaster,new fireline 2lb.
    having never used a baicaster before. they say practise practise and even more practise. well i thought that if im going to use it with fireline anyway i might aswell practice with it. first cast nice steady lob into my pool. second lob same spot. this is not that hard????? wrong ...... third lob, try to be a bit more adventurise.turn all the knobs off, really let the spool spin. stand further away from the pool. bring rod back, keep rod at correct angle, thumb ready, ok let it rip. follow through watching, watching, oh no lure is heading tooo far over the fence, pull the rod back quick stop the lure, lost my thumb somewhere and ended up with one of the most expensive and time consuming eagles nest ever. oh my god. it took me nearly a week of constant tweasing and unthreading. everyday after work come home have tea then sit in my office for four hours try to save my new toy.
    on the bright side, saved the lure from going over the fence.
    I did the same only I got smart and spooled up with the cheapest mono money could buy. #Woah nastry birdsnest, #m'eh chop out 40c, who cares not me . About a week and $2-3 worth of line later I'm feeling ready for the real thing, so I spool up with the fireline and off I go. 10 mins in and I'm cutting out about $10 worth of line #. Teach me to try and out smart fate.

Best I've done wasn't a birdsnest on a spool but a birdsnest none the less. I needed some backing for a $10 5wt fly reel. Low and behold there are the boat ramp was a great ball of the roughest looking 50+lb braid. No idea what the stuff was, or how it came to be there (washed up, dumped, don't know. I don't care its only a 5wt. My mates thought it was funny I'd bother. About a week later I got about 70+m of backing. Fly reel, fly line and backing for about $25. I'm a tight ass. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

CHRIS_aka_GWH

my brother drove from logan to the pumping jetty with his surf rod and alvey 650 in the back of the ute leaning up to the ladder rack behind the cabin.

On arrival discovered he only had a quarter a spool of line - but there was some still connected.

Started winding & basically reecovered it all. Fished the sessions with no breakoffs but got the filthiest fingers imaginable.

chris

there were also no reports of mysterious garroting of pedestrians

I never get them...mine are artistic art forms...macrame with fishing line..that is my story and I am sticking to it.

Only ever had one, so that by default is my worst. And was not on an overhead either.

Bream fishing about a month a go and had a strike on my little bait feeder, but tried to set the hook before I disengaged the baitfeeder. Zzzing as the spool went into warp drive and looped 6lb fireline everywhere.

Had to actually disassemble part of the reel to disconnect it all. Couldn't even cut it as it was jammed up in places I couldn't get to.

Then after getting that all sorted out and started pulling in the line that was cast out, in came a 27cm Bream.

So not a bad result after all.

Cheech

I have the patience to fish all day even if they are not biting.
    But 5 minutes rootin around with a mess is enough, I cut it off, even new braid.
    If there is not enough line left I use another rod. Thankfully I don't get that many.

I'm a champion at them, I reckon that a could hook up on a fly if it was near enough. most i get out but now and again the knife comes out.

bidkev

Hi Brian, take consolation in the cans you demolished :-)

I've fished with ambassadeur 7000's for about 25 yrs now and (blowing own trumpet) reckon I'm bloody good at lobbing with them.....even won prize money in a casting competition once.

I recently got a 5500, and it proved a bastard to master with a birdie at every cast......only solved it by moving up from 3 to 5 kilo line <shrug>

On one occasion I was fishing with an Okuma T30 and I attempted to lob a full mullet away from the boat, forgetting that it wasn't going to perform like a 7000 with a herring on it :-) It plonked into the water no more than 10 metres away with a resulting birdie of ginormous proportions! Well, you know that little loop that your line always seems to be tucked under when you've spooled off all the loose stuff then come to a full stop? You can either poke at it with a hook, screwdriver, toothpick, or whatever comes to hand, well this one was big enough to get a finger under, which I duly did. Just as I did......the bloody rod went off and pinned me finger to the drum! I was screaming like a banshee, the wife was panicking, the kids were laughing and I was cussing. All hell broke loose and me finger was going purple. The (whatever it was) took off up the front of the boat with me following it throwing deckie and kids asunder amidst the howls of laughter as I attempted to pass the rod from my one hand to the other to negotiate the bimini bars amidst more cursing as I realised the rod was firmly attached to the one hand. I climbed onto the gunnels to pass the bimini and was then half dragged to the limit of the bow........ thought I was a goner until the deckie ran up with the bait knife and cut the line.

I'd always been a bugger for droppin' knives over the side and I had recently taken to tyin' 'em to the bait board which is why it took so long.

That knife now has a tiny curtain eye screwed into the handle and is attached to the string via a snap link for quick release should it ever happen again :-)

Me finger looked like a bloody damson for days and days :-)

cheers

kev

Ahhhh Kev matey, you really can tell a yarn mate
    All I can see in my mind atm is you holding onto the bow for your life.... rod attached to arm getting dragged in and ya first mate mounted over the top of you with a knife and hacking away to free you.... hahaha that must have been soooooo funny to see. Hey can ya give me a demo when I get to catch up with ya mate??? whatacrackup
    cheers
    Les

bidkev

[quote author=MTpockets link=board=General;num=1087182252;start=10#12 date=06/15/04 at 10:49:12]

>Ahhhh Kev matey, you really can tell a yarn mate # <

Wait till you see me pissed :-)

>All I can see in my mind atm is you holding onto the bow for your life.... rod attached to arm getting dragged in and ya first mate mounted over the top of you<

Yeah, that's be the first and last time she mounted me mate.....if I remeber correctly ;-)

>with a knife and hacking away to free you.... hahaha that must have been soooooo funny to see. Hey can ya give me a demo when I get to catch up with ya mate??? whatacrackup # <

happy I brightened your day......you bloody sadist! ;-)

cheers

kev