Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12 Month Holiday?

12 Month Holiday?

Would you be willing to give up fishing in your area for 12 months to give the fish a 'breather' - maybe catch and release only? Do you think it would be worthwhile? Comments please.

Re: 12 Month Holiday?

Hell no! I would support a 12 month ban on all commercial activities, though.

Needmorerum

I would support a catch and release only system region by region. The fishing in our area is about to get a huge flogging on the weekend during the Boyne Tannum Hook-Up. Every year you can tell when this has been cause there's bugger all around for the few weeks following.
    And the fishing is getting worse and worse as the years go on and the sport of fishing gets bigger and bigger. There is a shit load more boats on the water now than there was 20 years ago.

Corry

hoge

Hell no! What I would support is a trial period of no comercial gathering of baits with in our bay areas. (I mean prawns of all sizes)

What would happen if all the prawns that are currently taken by trawlers inside the bay were allowed to remain in the food chain?

I may be off the mark but it wouldnt be the first time.

mick

yes i would support catch and release only for one year, especially in fresh water, the funs in catching the fish not eating them, it would be great to see how much of an impact fishing has on the fish populations.
    it would only benifit the fishing in future years

the amount of fish taken each day by pro fishing, would proberbly equal the amount of fish taken each year by all recreational fishing.

if people want to eat fish go and catch it yourself

cheers dale

Hell no and hell no. Fishing is sustainable if people take only what they need for their immediate needs. If people stick to bag limits and less, and size limits and above it would help. Some commercial activities are unsustainable such as long lining and some (all?) forms of trawling and these should be stopped asap.

Just remember also that recreational fishing generates a massive amount of income for local economies and stopping fishing for 12 months (even with catch and release allowed) would hurt those economies.

Fisho, why don;t you put your arguments forward as to where you think this would help and why?

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

I think that sportfishing is totally different to commercial fishing as there is large amount of fish released. I think that reduction of bag limits. and Increased license fees to facilitate the employment of more Fisheries staff so that consistant monitoring is practiced. There are so many dodgy bastards ruining it for others!
    Australia should follow NZ example, licenses are expensive but every bit helps to maintain the fishery and if you where that keen would u buy a license?

Dale rec fishos do take a comparable quatity of fish. There was a study done in NSW a while back - a couple of species were caught more by rec fishermen than pro.

I voted no because I think permanent green zones would work a lot better than rotated green zones, and you could still fish. We shouldn't let things get to the state where the fish need a breather.

The roll on effects from stopping fishing comercial or rec for any extended period would be enormous some one has already mentioned the impact on local economies. banning commercial fishing opens the door wide open for imports and price hikes which would damage the national economy long-term.
    Efficient sustainable management and enforcement is the key not knee jerk reactions. JMHO

Twenty-six votes (at last count) isn't going to give any realistic indication of what we think collectively. Fresh water fishing here is getting tougher, or perhaps age is killing the skills. We enjoy the coastal improvements without pro's to contend with; so the answer is probably in better management of the resource, not temporary closures, even though at times they can be the same thing. I voted No. Noel

A quick follow up. The twenty six votes are from 127 readers. Does that tell us something? Noel.

I think that's 126 (now 137) views, not readers. Some people are looking twice?

No way

Y dont they re stock our lakes,rivers dams,ect.
    Where is all that money going

its a mildy interesting idea. Rotating green zones might work, but they would have to be pretty small ie you couldn't close Moreton Bay for instance. The problem with small rotation zones is that they would be hit HARD when they opened the next season.