Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fishing closures

Fishing closures

G'day all,

With all the fishing closures going on round the place, does anyone reckon that the fishing might get a bit better in a few years in the bay?

Who knows something about fish spawning/movement - ie will they get big and fat and swim into the bay, or is it still gunna be like finding a goldfish in an olympic swimming pool

Just thinking along the lines of there are now heaps of flatties and spotties around but that was a 'species closure' not a location,

penny for your thoughts,

cheers
    Andrew

Re: Fishing closures

It's not only about in the bay but what's going on around the bay. In reef areas that were opened after being totally closed for 5 years, the result really wasn't even close to the premise that the closures improved things much at all.

Cheers, Kerry.

I wasn't aware they had opened any. Which ones are you referring to?

heres hoping they have only just begun with the size and bag limits on certain spiecies!!! they still have a long way to go before things will improve noticably i think. but 5 spotties and 3 spaniards is a start!

Quote Originally Posted by jockey
    I wasn't aware they had opened any. Which ones are you referring to?
    Were you aware they had even closed any? Where are you located again?

Over the years there's been many closure studies and really the results haven't followed what many might have expected but then these types of things have many many fringe factors.

Off Townsville in 1997 there were 4 "green" reefs re-opened and although these (like Yankee Reef) provided good fishing it was no where near the fishing bonaza that some people had predicted.

Bramble Reef back in 1995 (re-opened after 3.5 years) also showed similar trends.

Many of these reef closures simply haven't delivered what the greenies expected (or wanted) to see.

Cheers, Kerry.

I'm in SEQ at the moment and yes I am aware of many closures. The reopenings were news to me as I had been led to believe that once a spot had been closed off it would never be reopened to fishing. As for the 'predicted bonanza' I personally wouldn't predict much - at most a very short lived bonanza. The green zones have a lot more big fish in them (provided people obey the closure) but once it is reopened they would disappear pretty quick. Perhaps people thought they would be 'fishing in a green zone' rather than fishing in what used to be one.

As for the closures not delivering, what are you basing that on?

As for the closures not delivering, what are you basing that on?
    Basically the on-site data collected when the reef's were re-opened but then the findings are nothing new based on similar studies that go back to about 1986. The studies appear to be still trying to come to terms with some of the findings, those ones that don't fit the expected mould.

Cheers, Kerry.

Big_Kev

Purhaps the fishing of these reefs isn't the root cause of the problem.

OH,OH, HERE GOES THE KERRY VERSES JOCKEY SHOW AGAIN - ROUND 2 !!!! LUV TO SEE YOU TWO AT AN M&G - I BAG FRONT ROW WITH A BOTTLE OF SCOTCH!!!

Sorry alln not going to happen.

Kerry, I would love to know more about this. Is the information available on the web somewhere?

Dunno ??? I've got an old CRC report but one would imagine either GBRMPA, CRC Reef Research Centre or Sunfish could have something online. There should be quite an amount of this contradictory stuff around.

Cheers, Kerry.

could you please give me the name of the report and the authors and date?

thanks in advance

I dont want to intrude but I have to back kerry up on this the closures did not produce the return to or improvement in the bio-regions that the greenies/gbrmpa/etc/etc wanted to see to help them push through more closed zones even thought they know this they have just put it to on side. I could find the report somewhere but easier if you would just believe if not contact sunfish or just do a scearch on green zones.
    jockey may I ask why you suspect it doesn't exist?
    have you looked for it?
    have you rescearched it?
    most people who make comments on the boards post what they believe to be true if you know it to be wrong prove it and help all of us to have a better understanding

Did you actually read what Jockey said krazyfisher?? It should not be up to jockey to prove that the report that contradicts the green zone doesnt exist, it should be up to kerry to prove that the report does exist and provide the proof so people can make up their own mind. I'll be first to say the report kerry is refering to probably does exist, as there are plenty of reports that oppose the idea that green zones work, but there is also overwhelming numbers of reports (some are listed on the GBRMPA, CRC websites etc) that support the idea of green zones or protected/restricted areas work. The important thing to note from the reports are: is the green zone being used as a fishery management tool or as marine sanctury for the marine environment i.e like a national park on land. As this will have a major impact on wether the report supports or opposes green zones.

An interesting article can be found at http://www.oceanconservancy.org/dyna...2/feature1.htm

in particular read the section called Where Are They Now?

Well helpinfish sounds like you and jockey should get your heads together # and do what ever it is you type of people like to do #[smiley=speechless.gif].

You might also declare your sockpuppet status #

Lets hope your not one who makes noise just for the sake of making noise and ask stupid questions that 6 graders even know the answer to or could find in a flash.

Not a lot of noise is made re these reports 'cause they simply don't support (or in fact deny) the crap you lot want to go on about.

Actually one doesn't have to listen to jockey for long to know what's going on so bang your heads together if that's possible #

Don't like some report findings then that tuff as facts must really get up the noses of some people who don't like facts and can't handle the facts, which doesn't fit with "their" perpective.

Cheers, Kerry.