Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Fishing closures

Re: Fishing closures

David Kemp and GBRMPA lied about the justification for the marine parks and tried to pass fisheries management advice off as conservation advice.
    Considering the content of this discussion, anybody want to take a punt at who made this staggering admission.

Honestly one really has to read between the lines of what some people are actually doing here, what they are saying, why they are saying it and what they are trying to do and the method they are taking to achieve their own arogrant purpose.

As far as double faced hyprocrites go this character has to be the absolute pits [smiley=sneaky.gif]

Cheers, Kerry.

Yeah!! It threw me too when I saw the post on Fishnet. I think I mentioned somewhere back in who remembers what post about him "opening the batting for our side".....funny old world.

Maybe he enjoys playing devils advocate or maybe...just maybe...some of the "discussions" we have had have changed his view a bit.

Anyhow Kerry, Live & learn. I do know I would love to be on the water tommorrow. It is going to be absolutely flat arse calm in the morning till about 11. Tides are right and the Spanish will be biting their heads off early....while I'm at bloody work!! F#@*%

Regards

KC

KC, yeah some people are the absolute pits when it comes to having any credibility, hiding behind aliases and will argue what is black is actually white and if white then its black they'll carry on and argue it's white. To make matters worse for someone to actually have the hide to quote FD really isn't even on this planet.

As for changing his view, well if one tells sombody the facts hard enough and often enough for long enough then any normal person one would think would start to see the light, in this case I wouldn't count on, simply argues for the sake of argueing.

Well if you've got the same 25 knot southerly (gusting 32 knots) that's going past here this morning then don't think work isn't all bad.

Cheers, Kerry.

Fair call Kerry,

I did feel a bit better when I went to work EARLY and it was already gusting about 15SE. But typical by about 4pm it glassed out.....and I'm still f%$#@n' workin'.

No man ever said on his death bed....If only I'd spent more time at the office!!

I'm going fishing Tuesday no matter what.

KC

With the run off issue...

I worked the on the GBR for about 6 years, logging up more than 1,400 seadays conducting commercial and rec fishing, semi sub and glass bottom boat tours and diving on many "inner" and "outer" reefs from the Torres Strait to Townsville. I have also worked around Lady Musgrave and Elliott.

Most of my time was spent working on reefs out of Cairns. Worked on Green Island, Norman and Moore. I have fished Upolo, Arlington, Sudbury, Moore, Tedford, Bat, Flora, Finn, Saxon, Pixie and heaps of others off Townsville.

From experience I have seen Green Island , Upolo and Michaelmas Reefs begin to die. It has been a gradual process with the plates and staghorns going first to be replaced with more and more soft corals. We thought they would come back but never did. When there were signs of it beginning to then the Crown of Thorns quickly finished them off. Some parts of Green and Upolo are in bad shape. Flora was devastated but I hear some of it is showing life, not much though.

Cairns inlet and Barron River flushes out to Green and Upolo while Mulgrave and Russel rivers flow out to the areas around Flora and the islands.

Within the tourism company I worked for, all of us could see the run off doing damage. Take the Barron River for example. It will run dirt red for all of the wet season and pretty well whenever there is good rain. Now history tells us that the Barron was not like that many years ago. It was far better than it is today.

Cairns Inlet has markedly changed over the years through dredging and the development around it. I have seen and worked on refits in Smith Creek and watched as blue rivers of antifoul is washed into the creek and we know where all that ends up eventually. Dont get me started on Chinamans Creek with the leakage from the Cairns dump and the sewage outlet there as well. This creek is also part of Cairns Inlet.

I realise that my experience is localised. However from what we have seen I have concluded that run off plays a big part in "inner" reef damage around the Cairns area. "Outer" reefs are fine.

Crown of thorns have also been a big problem as well. They tell me their numbers are cyclical but for the last 6 years their numbers have been going strong. We had a Killer of Crown of Thorns Starfish team (KOTS) working fulltime on both Moore and Norman and at times Green and it was always a battle. They would rack up good kills every day within a relatively small area. It just never let up. KOTS is now a good business running out of Cairns.

Within the tourism company I worked for there was an "old timer". He had worked for 36 years on the reef, started on Game Boats years back and then skippered tourism boats from that time on. He was convinced that there had been extensive changes to many reefs around Cairns. He believed it was mainly run off that caused it.

Fishing effort on the reef is the least of our worries. I believe that coastal development, erosion and polution has a lot to do with it (for Cairns that is). As for the rest of the reef you can make up your own mind.

Someone said that they found new reefs in the Gulf and I have also heard around Darwin as well. I know that the water is not clear up there but the reef survives well. I believe that that is natural sediment in the water, sediment that has been there for thousands of years, sediment that the coral has grown up with. However the sediment coming out of the rivers I have spoken about is not natural, its toxic due to high acid levels and pollution and it is a sediment that the reef has not seen before. I think you will find the soft corals will survive but the hards will die right off.

These Green Zones will do little for the GBR. What is needed is coastal management solutions.

Green Island is rather an interesting example. About 12ha in size, surrounded by approx 700ha of reef with the whole declared Marine National Park being some 3000 ha in all, which was declared in 1974.

And the coral is dying, acutally has been doing so for some time and I wonder if this is one of those examples that didn't fit the mould so lets not use these facts as they don't support the "intent".

This coastal issue to politicians and those with pre-conceived agenda's simply appears a non event.
    Developers could basically be classed in the same way as some of the tourist "we don't do any damage to the reef" types.

Along some parts of the coast at this time of year water restrictions are already in place and it's just into winter, bloody hell and yet the same councils have this quest to approve development/subdivisions regardless.

Honestly people are getting sick and tied of living with a water system designed for a population some 20 years ago yet the only thing councils are concerned about is approving what they call "progress". Things on the coast simply can't keep going on the way it is.

Similar with fireweed in moreton bay, ever thought where that comes from? yet some can't see past their front lawn.

Cheers, Kerry.
    #

Good ponts. I used to work for GA as well. I actually ran both Green & Fitzroy and I am very well aware of the levels of damage ocurring in what have been green zones for bloody years.

This has always been our point. It is not about fishing, it is about doing the right things to protect the park. The green zone debacle is a PR stunt designed to win the "hearts & minds" of green senators and green voters who have no idea what is actually going on.

Regards

KC