Thread: Charges being considered over spearing of GNS

nsw_fisheries

Charges being considered over spearing of GNS

http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/gen/...4jun21_gns.htm

"This document has been posted for information and to encourage discussion among yourselves. For more information from NSW Fisheries on the issue, please visit our web site on www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au"

Re: Charges being considered over spearing of GNS

Charges being considered over spearing of endangered grey nurse shark
    21 June, 2004
    Charges are being considered against a spearfisher allegedly found in possession of a dead grey nurse shark, the Director-General of NSW Fisheries, Steve Dunn, said today.

Mr Dunn said the spearfisher was apprehended by a NSW Fisheries Officer at Seven Mile Beach near Forster on June 9, 2004. The spearfisher’s diving equipment was seized by NSW Fisheries.

“Grey nurse sharks are endangered and are protected from all forms of fishing, so
    this is a serious offence,” Mr Dunn said.

“The loss in this case was particularly great because it was an immature female of which there are already too few.”

“Any fisher who harms a grey nurse shark faces prosecution. It is illegal to catch, buy, sell or possess this species. Fines of up to $220,000 and/or two year’s jail apply.”

Grey nurse sharks were first declared threatened and protected from fishing in NSW in 1984. They were listed as endangered in 2001.

“Anyone who sees a person harming a grey nurse shark should contact their nearest NSW Fisheries office or call the Fishers Watch on 1800 043 536,” Mr Dunn said.

Media inquiries: Kristina Resanceff (02) 8437 4948 or 0419 185 375

webmaster@fisheries.nsw.gov.au #| #Terms of use including Copyright & Privacy Statement #| #Phone: (02) 9527 8411 #
    #

makes you wonder why charges are only be considered
    sound to me like there is no need for consideration, just lay the charges
    cheers
    blaze

There must be some dead set dickheads out there..

CHRIS_aka_GWH

i'm sure that bloke must know a line fisherman or at least made eye contact with one at a boat ramp sometime

therefore there should be a TOTAL LINE FISHING BAN in NSW to protect the GNS.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaHunt
    There must be some dead set dickheads out there.. #

Let me rephrase that #... #There must be some dead set wankers out there..

Since I am obviously not allowed to use the DH word, which is pretty tame by TV and radio standards in Australia. #

And you are right Chris , if it wasn't for these tossers we would not have the myriad of regulations we now have to be aware of, when common sense should have sufficed.

"The spearfisher’s diving equipment was seized by NSW Fisheries. "

I wonder what that means. Was he using scuba gear, or did they confiscate his snorkel (and leave him with the gun)?

Hope they throw the book at him.