Thread: Where exactly is...

Where exactly is...

they talk on the weather reports about the 'BRISBANE BAR CUTTING" when doing tide reports......
    where exactly is it??? can someone please shed a little light.
    cheers
    DR

Re: Where exactly is...

Mouth of the Brisbane River, believe it or not...Got out in a 20 knot N/e and you'll believe it

I'm a believer. I have had my worst boating conditions at the mouth or the river. Not far before the wharves and I was looking up to the top of the waves.

Maybe that is why they call it a bar.

Cheech

Really? i'd assumed that around Fishermans Islands there was still pretty calm.

The main tide measuring equipment for port of Brisbane used to be located on a tripod at the mouth of the river.

I know this because my father who was a professional skipper before he retired, knocked it down when bringing a barge (the Darra for those that remember the coral dredging that used to happen at mud island) into the river in a 40knot crosswind. Harbour and Marine were really pi$$ed at the time and undertook an investigation on the incident, which was found to be caused by a trawler coming down the wrong side of the river on autopilot ??? - try steering a 100m barge around a corner in a 40 knot crosswind with a trawler coming straight at you. Anyway, to cut a long story short, this really stuffed up the tide measurement for Brisbane for a while. This story just shows how difficult a stretch of water the mout of the river can be in rough conditions.

Cheers,

Mark

p.s. for all you mud island fisherman who disagreed with the dredging at mud island, I agree, and it was just one of many ships dad skippered around brisbane over the last 35 years.

thanks fellas,
    is there some kind of marker etc. to me the mouth of the river is a large area, just need to satisfy my curiosity on where exactly they take their measurements.
    cheers