Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: $1000 to charity for undersize fish prossecuti

imported_admin

$1000 to charity for undersize fish prossecuti

We are trying to finalizing the details tonight so further information will be posted later tonight or tomorrow.

The basis will be that for every person that purchases undersized fish from a store in Queensland and takes them along to the DPI with a receipt from the store we will donate Ten times the cost of the fish, up to $100.00, to a charity. $1000.00 is currently available.

This has been made possible by an anonymous donation of $1000.00 being donated for the cause.

Re: $1000 to charity for undersize fish prosse

Woohoo... Great idea you have there, and good to see some genuine action being taken and some incentive to get action taken by the DPI.

Its funny i was at Sunnybank today at the *un-named* fish shop and the bream were of a reasonable size, seemed to be average 23cm. And there were no whiting what so ever.

Ausfish Addict

with the advertising this has been getting i think you will be hard pressed to find some undersized fish in these shops until the flak dies down, however i will keep my eye open on the shop in logan, hey top ender, have you seen the fish shop at the Brisbane markets, not too many tubs of legal fish there
    cheers
    Joe

Nah mate can't say i have seen it, but i have noticed a few sus ones around the sunnybank area hey.

Ausfish Addict

well without pointing the finger the shops in question arent owned by ppl born in aus, however, some are close to home
    cheers
    Joe

"NOT POINTING THE FINGER BUT" LMAO! We all know who ya talking about though ahahhaa
    Thats a good idea though!!!....Get rid of some of these people selling undersize fish!

gif

Pointing the Finger?

Forget the shops #- I want to know who is actually catching these fish and sellng them to the shops? # That's where the damage is done. #Thats where the fish are killed and not released.

It's too late #- the're dead before the shop sees them.

I blame the commercial fisherman #- he kills them.

... and if you are going to get cross with the shop who buys them then also get angry with the consumers who buy them.

Maybe DPI will start to give shops a hard time - but if they were serious they would trace the fish back to the guy who caught them.

These commercial fishermen are under a lot of pressure too - the real answer is to buy out their licences - at a fair and generous price. After all - rec fishing is worth more to the economy than Commercial Fishing. The last numbers I saw showed that we spend about $65 per kg of fish caught.

( I bet I spent a lot more! )

Gary Fooks
    (yes I know it sounds like #- but my name is actually English / German)

Yeah i agree with you there Gary but there is one thing you should also be aware of, being that not everyone who buys a whole fish is going to know the legal sizes and so on. Ok there is a fair chance most will but then there are people who won't.

There really should be more publicity of what actually IS the legal size for these fish.

Still i agree with you whole-heartedly with your comments about it being the trawler owner that causes all these problems.

great idea Ausfish - well done

Maybe the fish shops should be made to diplsy legal sizes of fish in queensland aswell - then the consumer might think twice about buying an undersized fish

go the recreational anglers vigilante movement !!!

For a start , you guys are off your collective heads.

hmmmmmm....

where do i start .... ???

As a commercial fisho who works qld and nsw i can tell you the inspections we recieve are rubber glove material.. most of us have to log exact catch weight , amount of bins , where and when were landing , who exactly we are selling to long before we land .. not to mention permits to land interstate fish in outerstate waters. .. once again not to mention the extra waterways and qld boat/fish inspections... "the commercial fisherman .. he kills them": ,, .. I CAN TELL YOU NOW "MATE">>> I know where the local pros sell their catch and when 99% goes overseas and then the local market gets flooded with catch that i can tell you didnt come from the local commercial crew.. YOU WORK IT OUT >

dipsly? no i'm the only dipsly one around here - i should have said display

What about crabs without there shells...

I' ve seen this around fairly often.. Is it legal to sell small crabs like this?

Quote Originally Posted by adamleah
    What about crabs without there shells...

I' ve seen this around fairly often.. Is it legal to sell small crabs like this?
    I think you'll find that all "soft shell" crabs are farmed.

Exactly ProFleet, I think you will find that these people (who were not born in Aus, as someone put it ) are supplying themselves, or at least their lations are. >
    I am sure 99% of the pro's stick to the law , they can't afford not to.

Raefpud, that is a brilliant idea.
    If every fish vendor, had to clearly display the legal sizes of fish they sold, most of the problem would disappear tomorrow.. I suppose they would fillet them all then.
    Easy to legislate, low cost for the vendors, easy to enforce, and undersized fish regulated by the public.

great idea...
    i heard there is a feature on 'today tonight' ch7 tonight.
    undersize fish at the markets is exposed, doh, as if we
    wern't aware already???
    perhaps the dpi don't know yet, let's see what comes of it.
    as far as i can remember, fish shops/markets have always had
    what looks like undersize critters for sale.

my missus just bought a 48 cm red snapper??? at action foodstore.
    1.3kg @ $7.98kg. bargain. i'm still confused at the red snapper bit
    though, would be imported from somewhere???