Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: $1000 to charity for undersize fish prossecuti

Re: $1000 to charity for undersize fish prosse

They did originally Jeremy, and it was on Brisbane extra on channel 9, they took them to DPI etc., and they WERE undersize , and not by a couple of mm either.
    I think after the publicity they might have cleaned up their act.
    The fishmonger will be REQUIRED to display the chart, laminated of course, so they can clean the slime off it when they are cleaning the slime off everthing else.
    If you look at a fish and then the chart most people would be able to judge if the fish was undersized. I mean, what shop would have a chart there and beside it, a heap of undersized bream. #???
    It is a visual thing and meant to be a deterrant.

Obviosly you can't hold any fish in your hand, that you have not already bought.
    And some people would hold the fish up to the chart (I know I would).
    And if you are scared of holding a cold slimey fish, you are going to have trouble cooking it when you get home. #

I can certainly see the merits of this as a deterrent, but back to the chart idea, even I don't want to touch cold slimey fish in the seafood shop as I then have to find something (my pants?) to wipe my hands clean on afterwards.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Quote Originally Posted by SeaHunt
    Lets not get carried away, we are only interested in putting the common Australian species on this thing, that are usually sold whole.ie ... Bream , Whiting , Snapper , crabs.
    I dont think any of the species you noted are unique to Qld or even Oz. Could well be imported from OS or interstate where there are different regs. This, i think, could make them legal to sell here. I dont really know but its a fair question to ask. Would hate to see someone get embarrassed for making an incorrect assumtion.

fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Its alright Fitzy , I make em all the time ..
    Usually big enough to admit it too
    But seriously Qld has already got the smallest or equally smallest legal size for bream and whiting, Never heard of them being farmed (could be wrong).
    And who is going to bother to import frozen bream and whiting into Australia. ???

Well i'm happy to report back that on a visit to the previously mentioned store in Sunnybank, i can say that every fish they had on display was of a legal size.

Although i think the lady recognized me... she seemed pretty edgy while i was in the store.

Keep going back there MY-TopEnder, it'll keep the bastards honest.

GES

oh yeah i live 2 mins down the road so if i'm up there doing the shopping or getting a feed or buying more squidgies at K-Mart then i'll make a point of going in there to have a looksie... the last couple of times now things have been legit.

Its good to see.

I am working on the poster, i'll put a link up when i get it sorted.

Is this offer Aust wide? or limited to Queensland, For all the talk we do here it doesn't seem like many people are actually making an effort to look. There are more suburbs in Brisbane than just Sunnybank. Surely for the how ever many members there are on this site they don't all live in Sunnybank. Sorry if I have tread on some toes here, but each day I click on this thread hoping to see someone has been caught, only to find everyone skirting around the real issue. I suggest if anyone looks anywhere, post it here, so we can at least see what areas have been doing well,(no undersized fish) and have been 'inspected'.
    Are 'trawl whiting' under some special rule as whenever you see these fish they are the size of pillies, Is this Illegal??

imported_admin

Sean

Yes this is for all of Queensland only.

It would appear with all the press this issue has received, TV, Radio, Internet, Etc, that it would be pretty foolish for any shop to be selling undersize fish or crabs.

If no one is caught out by the time the offer expires we will probably run it again in a few months to, as they say, "Keep the bastards honest"

If I'm up that way I'll have a squiz in a few shops.....can I ask why only QLD? Well, apart from the fact that QLD is miles ahead of all the other states as far as most things go......Building, Fishing, State Of origin..you know, all the important stuff. Go the QUEENSLANDERS!

well bit off the subject sean, I live in the farnowwest of tassie
    20 K FROM SOME OF THE CLEANEST AIR IN THE WORLD at cape grim research station, unpoluted water ways, leave car unlocked on over nighters, plenty of fish (lots of wind and rain at the moment), that also gives us the most substainable farming
    you aint got that
    cheers
    blaze

No we havn't got that Blaze, and we are not prepared to spend 9 months of the year freezing our balls off to get it either.

hi seahunt
    only bad for 3, but that hasnt stop a heap of qslanders moving down
    cheers
    blaze

You tell him blaze Go the Queenslanders!!!!P.S where can you leave your car unlocked again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    You tell him seahunt Go the Queenslanders!!!!P.S where can you leave your car unlocked again.

Leave the ute unlocked anywhere mate, as long as the pitbull is on the back..